Car set-up - Tire question

Discuss upcoming events, classing questions, car setup, etc.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

kingslider
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: 93_Mustang

Car set-up - Tire question

Post by kingslider »

Admins, feel free to move this thread where necessary.
All, I've researched here on the BRR-SCCA forum and online elsewhere, and invite input from the field.

What tire recommendations are there for 200 tread wear in the tire sizes 275/40/r17 and 315/35/r17? Can be somewhat higher, but as close to 200 UTQG rating as possible is preferable.

I'm not married to any particular brands. It seems manufacturers fall in to the following:
-have the size, but not the treadwear minimum
-have the 200 treadwear min, and lack the sizes I need

Having a heck of a time finding tires that are great performing and will provide the most contact patch that are legal for competition (CAM-C class), any help is appreciated.

h
diggles240
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Nissan

Re: Car set-up - Tire question

Post by diggles240 »

I ran on Bridgestone RE-71Rs last year and the difference between them and the BFG Rival [not Rival S] that I ran previously was tremendous to say the least. Supposedly BFG is coming out with a revised Rival S this year, but I have not done any research to confirm that.

What wheel widths are you running? I believe your other thread mentioned 245/45/17 all around. I understand, and agree with, your desire to maximize contact patch. Depending on how much experience you have, a smaller width RE-71R may be the tyre of choice. In addition, a square setup will allow front to rear rotation for even wear. Your suspension goodies will at least allow you to dial in camber to maximize the contact patch you have.

I know I did not answer your question - just wanted to provide some food for though.

Kevin
Kevin
1996 Nissan 240sx SE two-pedal torture
#86 HS|SM
BFisch06
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Chevrolet

Post by BFisch06 »

I'd try to run RE-71R's in any of the CAM classes. diggles240 brings up a good point regarding the Rival S, but I too have little information about the redesign. Use this link & click the "sizes" tab to view available sizes for the RE-71Rs. I see 255/40R17 as the largest to mount on 17" wheels. I suspect the wheels you're running are intended for Hoosiers, but CAM class doesn't allow that aggressive of a compound.
Solo #83: 2017 Chevrolet Volt
I'll drive anything made by GM. Yes, there's something wrong with me.
fspmx6
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: 92_mazda_mx6

Post by fspmx6 »

the extra wide tires might not actually be in your favor in autocrossing. The wider tires will aid in cornering, but with the effect of diminishing returns after a certain point ( which I'm sure some engineer here could calculate, but I'm too lazy to actually look up). Additionally, you have to factor in how much it takes to heat up the tires. If you go too wide, you'll never get them up to temp and they'll be worse than if you'd used a harder compound. ( conversely heating them up too much will make them greasy too ). I wish I could point you in a more solid direction, however, you might try talking to Shawn McNulty. Brad ( BFisch06) should have his contact info. He's a mustang guy and auto-x's his early 2000's 'stang.
Hey, what does this thing do *zap* oww,.... so that's what it does!
tehmaxfactr
Seasoned Autoxer
Competition Car: fiero

Post by tehmaxfactr »

I'll just say I'll see all the cars at nationals are running rivals because they make the widest tires. Running the widest tires for the size wheel you have is the best option. With a 275 you should have at least a 9 inch wide wheel.
88 Fiero Formula T-Tops (1 of 1252) BSP
87 Fiero GT swapped with a turbo 3.5 SSM
90 Miata Supercharged SSM
01 Mustang GT ESP
96 Plymoth Neon (prospective chump car)