Possible track in our region

Discussion about club racing, time trials, and high performance driving events.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

glenthompson
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Caldwell

Possible track in our region

Post by glenthompson »

There's a new track proposed for our region. It's between Abingdon and Bristol. The website is sketchy but it looks interesting. http://www.shrpva.net

Do we want to try to hold a regional race if it becomes a reality?
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI
aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Re: Possible track in our region

Post by aged racer »

The short is sure, why not? The longer answer is putting on a race weekend is a big deal. BRR used to host one at Charlotte Motor Speedway when I first started, I think maybe one or two years in a row and then everybody ran away screaming at the thought of doing it again.

Still, we do a great job w/ auto-x; same skill set, bigger scale.

All that said, I'm more than a bit skeptical of this deal. That's my neck of the woods originally- there's money there (coal), but are these guys connected enough to tap it? Coal money likes golf courses, pristine lakes, etc....

Racing buddy Emmitt Staley lives out that way- will ask him about this.

Steve
At-Large Member- SARRC Race Committee

Will race (and autocross) for food.
hklvette
Veteran
Competition Car: BumminRides

Post by hklvette »

Agreed on that looking sketchy. Not like building a road-racing facility is a cheap venture either. If it does become a reality, I'd certainly be interested.
-Henry Lehmann
BRR Solo Chair, Treasurer, and Equipment Steward

"If you want to get it done, you have to do it yourself."
tac911t
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Jetta

Post by tac911t »

If we are ever intersted in holding a race, we should get started by co-sponsoring one at VIR/Charlotte. Not sure if there is a reason to co-sponsor one at VIR, NCR typically does not need the financial/equipment support. They always need worker help.

NCR "Owns" VIR within SCCA due to it being in their region, as in, they would have to approve another region using the track, if we could get a date from track. I think this is how it works via the politics of SCCA.

Since Central Carolina is holding a race at Charlotte next year, and was with this region that BRR co-sponsored the races with before, they may be interested. But we would have to bring something to the table, funding, workers, equipment, etc.

If the track does get built in our region, then we could co-sponsor races with other regions, to keep our foot in the door, while we build experience, finances, workers, toward the ability to host a race ourselves.
aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by aged racer »

I didn't realize (or forgot) that we worked w/ CCR back in the day. Regardless, it's a big commitment as you note.

Give NCR credit, they run a good show (at least from a driver's perspective). If we could get this race grouping thing figured out...

Steve
At-Large Member- SARRC Race Committee

Will race (and autocross) for food.