VIR Oak Tree Down!!!

Discussion about club racing, time trials, and high performance driving events.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

tac911t
Pylons are afraid of me!
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Jetta

VIR Oak Tree Down!!!

Post by tac911t »

This is posted on the VIR Website http://virnow.com and on Facebook.

OAK TREE DOWN

Alton, VA, July 2, 2113 – There is no easy way to say this – The Oak Tree is down. The iconic landmark that has come to symbolize VIRginia International Raceway has fallen, broken at the base.

“We are in shock and mourning,” said track owner Connie Nyholm. “We’re too busy right now trying to get the racetrack cleared of debris. We are grateful no one was at the corner station or on track when she fell and that there is no damage to the track surface. Tomorrow we’ll begin to get our arms around what this really means, but I can tell you that it means more than any of us want to think about today.”

The massive oak stood sentinel at the south end of the racetrack, looking out from the highest point on the property at the sprawling facility and its 3.27 miles of serpentine asphalt that has come to be regarded as the most challenging in North America, if not the world.

Its branches shaded the apex of the legendary Oak Tree Turn, looking down on the likes of Roger Penske, Walt Hansgen, Tom Kristensen and Richard Petty as well as a host of race drivers from the brilliant to the not so.

“I can tell you this,” Nyholm said, “The Oak Tree will live on in our minds and hearts, and we will give it an appropriate send-off. Please email your thoughts and suggestions to oaktree@VIRnow.com for proper ways to honor this old friend.”
Attachments
OakTree.jpg
OakTree.jpg (29.61 KiB) Viewed 3977 times
LynnCombs
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Corvette

Re: VIR Oak Tree Down!!!

Post by LynnCombs »

:cry: I never got to work that turn under the big oak.
Lynn Combs