qeustion about helmet options and safty gear for time trials/hill climb

Discussion about club racing, time trials, and high performance driving events.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

Devilsword
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000

qeustion about helmet options and safty gear for time trials/hill climb

Post by Devilsword »

With Christmas coming the wife is begging for me to make her a list. Usually i am really bad at this, yet currently on my mind is a new helmet to replace my last one that went missing at a event earlier this year. My current goal is 2 year plan for preping a car for hill climbs, time trials and to start racing. After reading over the scca time trial rule book i am looking at a new SA2015 full face helmet from Racequip. I have been using M rated full face helmets for Solo events since i started racing but read that full face SA have a limited view in comparison. This has gotten me curious about open face helmets. Going over scca time trial rules i dont see anything specifically saying full face helmets are needed. Can anyone give me any clarity on this subject or if there are any conflicts between scca rules and nasa rules? Also another recommend safety gear would be great. Thanks again.
777 SMF 06 Suzuki AerioSX 2.3L, massive oil loss :cry:
777 HS 1989 SAAB 900 CLASSIC Sedan non-turbo manual currently has died twice on the way to the race.
777 GS 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo auto Stormtrooper Helmet
hemitud
Veteran
Competition Car: Dodge

Re: qeustion about helmet options and safty gear for time trials/hill climb

Post by hemitud »

David Clemons has done a few and I am sure he can share some information. Not sure how often he checks the forum board though.
yenk066; send him a PM.
Tim
11 XP - maybe
1993 V8 - S10
rschumin
Veteran
Competition Car: Honda

Post by rschumin »

Devilsword wrote: i am looking at a new SA2015 full face helmet from Racequip. I have been using M rated full face helmets for Solo events since i started racing but read that full face SA have a limited view in comparison.
Take a look at this one

http://www.ogracing.com/bell-sport-ev-sa2015-helmet
Ray
........_\____
......./__|___\__
......(O)_ _(O)_|
Scott
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by Scott »

You really want a full face helmet, especially for hill climbs, it's amazing how much ends up coming inside the car while on track. I've always used a full face, but on hot days I would run with the visor up, until I had something fly into the car at VIR and break the lens on the sunglasses I was wearing. Now it's always visor down, even while auto rossing....

This is my current helmet (but in black) and I'm very happy with it
http://www.ogracing.com/hjc-ar-10-ii-sa ... ing-helmet

I've never had an issue with visibility while on track or autocrossing.

Do yourself and favor and purchase one of these also:
http://www.ogracing.com/hans-device-sport-ii
gnalaj
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by gnalaj »

I wouldn't order a new helmet without being able to try it on, unless the company you get it from has an easy return policy. The different helmet manufacturers all have their own ideas about the shape of peoples heads, so the helmets will fit differently. Different product lines from the same manufacturer should have a similar fit, but there may be slight differences depending on when that line was introduced. A notable exception that I am aware of is Aria, they actually have different shapes to their helmets (long oval, intermediate oval, rounder oval (may not still be available), depending on which product line you are looking at. If possible, try a variety of helmets from different manufacturers to see if you prefer one over the other.
Alan G.
'91 Mariner Blue Miata (314 STS)
Scott
Veteran

Post by Scott »

I second that, it's how I picked my helmet. OG racing is the closest place that has a ton of helmets to try on
Devilsword

Post by Devilsword »

Thanks for the response everyone. I was hoping to trying a few helmets on before purchase. Sadly living in gordonsville, that puts og racing is about a 2 hour drive. Anyone know of a place that is closer? Maybe something in richmond? Its times like this that i really miss cdoc.
777 HS 1989 SAAB 900 CLASSIC Sedan non-turbo manual currently has died twice on the way to the race.
Scott
Veteran

Post by Scott »

OG is the closest. It's worth the drive, they are very knowledgeable. While you are there, you can also try out race seats, you will want one of those also for your build. I highly suggest a halo seat for hill climbs.
rschumin
Veteran
Competition Car: Honda

Post by rschumin »

Devilsword wrote:Thanks for the response everyone. I was hoping to trying a few helmets on before purchase. Sadly living in gordonsville, that puts og racing is about a 2 hour drive. Anyone know of a place that is closer? Maybe something in richmond? Its times like this that i really miss cdoc.
It's worth the trip to get a helmet that fits correctly. Besides there is other stuff to do in that area, like the Air & Space Museum. Go up there and make a day of it.
Ray
........_\____
......./__|___\__
......(O)_ _(O)_|
diggles240
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Nissan

Post by diggles240 »

rschumin wrote:
Devilsword wrote:Thanks for the response everyone. I was hoping to trying a few helmets on before purchase. Sadly living in gordonsville, that puts og racing is about a 2 hour drive. Anyone know of a place that is closer? Maybe something in richmond? Its times like this that i really miss cdoc.
It's worth the trip to get a helmet that fits correctly. Besides there is other stuff to do in that area, like the Air & Space Museum. Go up there and make a day of it.
^ I second that Ray.

My helmet does not fit correctly and it is no fun to deal with. It is an open face helmet and I have had debris hit my sunglasses during multiple events. Next time I will be going with a full face.

Chris - I would be up for a road trip if you want some company. I need to look at seats and probably a fuel cell soon anyway. Just let me know.

Kevin
Kevin
1996 Nissan 240sx SE two-pedal torture
#86 HS|SM
Devilsword

Post by Devilsword »

kevin reach out to me when you get a chance. Might be making a party to take a trip but also i have a few nissan qeustion i want to swing by you.