2017 Club Racing Driver of the Year Nominations

Discussion about club racing, time trials, and high performance driving events.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

2017 Club Racing Driver of the Year Nominations

Post by aged racer »

Within the BRR we had a few less racers this year, with three of us running a more or less full season. Steve Layfield and myself went to the Runoff's at Indy. I think he would agree that it was a great experience and we were reasonably competitive, but Runoff's fields are deep and our final results reflect that.

Among the Divisional competitors, Drew Strickland ran the full MARRS season at VIR and Summit Point and finished a very, very close second in the ITB season championship (by 10 points, 2210 to 2200).

Along the way he won three races and other than a pair of DNF’s never finished worse than 4th in a very competitive ITB field that usually had ten or more competitors a weekend. The championship came down to the last race, where one of those two DNF’s cost him a finish and the title (for want of a LF hub!).

I had a front row seat for his season as his crew chief, head mechanic, spotter etc. More than once he overcome adversity from a driving or mechanical issue to finish the weekend with a good result.

I'll freely admit some bias but I think he had great season and would be a worthy racer of the year. Regardless please do vote, and hopefully we'll be able to make the year end banquet this year!
At-Large Member- SARRC Race Committee

Will race (and autocross) for food.
Scott
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Re: 2017 Club Racing Driver of the Year Nominations

Post by Scott »

As nominee myself, Drew Strickland also gets my vote. I missed most of the races dealing with mechanical issues and the races I did attend, I spent fighting with an ill car trying to get it sorted. I went to every MARRS event and got to watch Drew in action all season and his performance was more than deserving of the honor.