sinutz
Pylons are afraid of me!
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Honda

Re: MDA car show planning and worker sign up

Post by sinutz »

hklvette wrote:
sinutz wrote:Peeps,
We will get 2 weekend passes with each car (4) that we can swap off as needed. They offer weekend passes 2 ways, 20.00 per person individually and a book of 10 for 150.00. I tried to get a couple extras thrown in with the booth space and it was a no go.
I would suggest buying an additional 4 passes which will give us 8 total to use between the attendants of the booth.

I will post info when i recieve it........... Cheers!

$80? no problem...
Thanks!
Rob Leslie

2000 S2000 #413 BS
1988 CRX SI #228 DM
n33d4sp33d13
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by n33d4sp33d13 »

fspmx6 wrote:what about BRR stickers we can give out, or some SCCA stickers? Do we have any in excess? and are there enough people there to man the worker station, or do you need me to be there for some relief work Ill have that weekend entirely off so just let me know when and where you need me. It might also do us some good to print out copies of this year's schedule for anyone that might be interested, as well as adding on website info as handouts.
anytime u can help would be great. so far these people have signed up for these time spots. anyone can fill in wherever they would like. just try and let me know.

so far i have these workers at these times
Friday 5pm-10pm- Ryan Hansbarger
Friday 5pm-10pm- Henry L

Saturday 9am-1pm- Steve Strickland
Saturday 4pm-6pm- Tim and Heath Maxey
Saturday 3pm-10pm- Erik Strock

Sunday 1pm-5pm- James koiner
Sunday 10AM-1pm- Steve Strickland
Last edited by n33d4sp33d13 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steffen Clark
White/Orange 1991 Mazda Miata ITA/ STL
Dark grey 2014 Subaru WRX STI D Street
White 1984 Plymouth Colt Turbo SMF
1991 Mazda "hacked" Miata A Mod
Red 1984 Plymouth Colt Turbo
Red 2019 Toyota Tundra
n33d4sp33d13
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by n33d4sp33d13 »

ATTENTION david celmens and jeff marion!!!!!

you both have private messages from me regarding your cars.
Steffen Clark
Red 2019 Toyota Tundra
aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by aged racer »

These guys will suck us dry of stickers- unless we have a bunch and they are cheap, might stay away from that. Good idea on having copies of the schedule, though, plus maybe a one page "how-to" or FAQ for a first time autocrosser (or maybe that's in the SCCA lit?)

Just realized that most of my shirts and such are SCCA, SARRC, or Mazdaspeed- all I have with the BRR logo is a hat and a couple tee shirts. Would we have any sweatshirts handy I could buy? You guys probably have your fleeces.

One last thought- if there's wireless we could have a couple laptops or iPads to show off the website (I'll bring mine).

Steve
At-Large Member- SARRC Race Committee

Will race (and autocross) for food.
hklvette
Veteran
Competition Car: BumminRides

Post by hklvette »

aged racer wrote:These guys will suck us dry of stickers- unless we have a bunch and they are cheap, might stay away from that. Good idea on having copies of the schedule, though, plus maybe a one page "how-to" or FAQ for a first time autocrosser (or maybe that's in the SCCA lit?)

Just realized that most of my shirts and such are SCCA, SARRC, or Mazdaspeed- all I have with the BRR logo is a hat and a couple tee shirts. Would we have any sweatshirts handy I could buy? You guys probably have your fleeces.

One last thought- if there's wireless we could have a couple laptops or iPads to show off the website (I'll bring mine).

Steve
Steve,

I actually think a SARRC shirt would be a good idea. Even though the majority of our activity revolves around autocross, I don't think road racing should be neglected.
-Henry Lehmann
BRR Solo Chair, Treasurer, and Equipment Steward

"If you want to get it done, you have to do it yourself."
n33d4sp33d13
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by n33d4sp33d13 »

all the stuff that is needed from the trailer has been picked up and in my truck. any last minute things we need to worry about?
Steffen Clark
Red 2019 Toyota Tundra
sinutz
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by sinutz »

n33d4sp33d13 wrote:all the stuff that is needed from the trailer has been picked up and in my truck. any last minute things we need to worry about?
I say we go with what we have, See where we are with props ect and add more if we need it. Thanks for making the trip to raid the trailer.
Rob Leslie

2000 S2000 #413 BS
1988 CRX SI #228 DM
n33d4sp33d13
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by n33d4sp33d13 »

sinutz wrote:
n33d4sp33d13 wrote:all the stuff that is needed from the trailer has been picked up and in my truck. any last minute things we need to worry about?
I say we go with what we have, See where we are with props ect and add more if we need it. Thanks for making the trip to raid the trailer.
thanks to tim windle for meeting me to let me in. see everyone helping with setup 8AM on friday. rob i will give you a call that morning to find you.
Steffen Clark
Red 2019 Toyota Tundra
aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by aged racer »

What's the best way for me to connect with you guys to get a pass for my "shift" on Sat morning? Is there a pickup desk or similar?

hklvette
Veteran

Post by hklvette »

aged racer wrote:What's the best way for me to connect with you guys to get a pass for my "shift" on Sat morning? Is there a pickup desk or similar?
Hmmm...Rob or Steffen probably know more, but if nothing else you and Ryan could meet in the morning since you're both in/ near Roanoke to trade off the passes.
-Henry Lehmann

n33d4sp33d13
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by n33d4sp33d13 »

as far as handing off passes that will have be something we all communicate well about. here is my cell number. 540 312 7223. most everyone elses number i have so i will organize making sure people are handing off passes to the next person to work. if i come up with a better idea i will let everyone know.

as for anyone working the shifts first thing in the morning we will need to communicate to get you passes the night before preferably unless i am there first thing as well and then i will bring them with me.

would it be better to collect all passes at the end of each day and then me meet someone each morning to redistribute them? im open to ideas
Steffen Clark
Red 2019 Toyota Tundra
sinutz
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by sinutz »

I had planned on checking to see if we can leave a list of names at the box office so the passes can be picked up there. We may be able to do this throughout the weekend but I will need to talk to the event staff to make sure it's kosher.
Rob Leslie

2000 S2000 #413 BS
1988 CRX SI #228 DM
aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by aged racer »

What time are you guys going to be doing setup tomorrow? I might be able to connect at some point.

Steve

sinutz
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by sinutz »

Have to be there at 8:00 for registration and then start the set up. I would say we won't get started until at least 9:00.
Rob Leslie

2000 S2000 #413 BS
1988 CRX SI #228 DM
aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by aged racer »

Shoot, that won't work, I'm booked most of the AM. I could stop by around lunchtime,

n33d4sp33d13
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by n33d4sp33d13 »

I want to thank everyone who came out and helped work the booth and especially rob Leslie who helped organize this. We had a decent amount of interest and I even signed up a few people for our first event in 2 weeks. See everyone in verona
Steffen Clark
Red 2019 Toyota Tundra
hklvette
Veteran

Post by hklvette »

Cool! I have some ideas for our booth if we want to go again next year...
-Henry Lehmann

n33d4sp33d13
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by n33d4sp33d13 »

lets hear it henry. how does everyone think the booth did? i know during the times i was there it was either busy or dead. while i was there on saturday i probably talked to 15ish people. throughout the whole weekend i maybe talked to 25 or so. how much luck did anyone else have? success or not? i wouldnt mind hearing feedback from those who either saw the booth or worked it to see how much interest we really had.
Steffen Clark
Red 2019 Toyota Tundra
hklvette
Veteran

Post by hklvette »

Ryan and I only talked to maybe a half dozen people on Friday evening. We speculated that the concert was keeping people towards the front of the building. Something I noticed was that the various clubs who were present generally didn't bring cars to show. What having cars there did (I think) was draw attention away from the information that we wanted to present. Overall, I liked how VIR's booth was setup, with a large pop-up banner to attract attention and little else. I don't think having a car there helped attract attention as much as the banner did, because it was easily seen from a distance and didn't blend in with the rest of the cars present.

my $.02
-Henry Lehmann

glenthompson
Veteran
Competition Car: Caldwell

Post by glenthompson »

hklvette wrote:Ryan and I only talked to maybe a half dozen people on Friday evening. We speculated that the concert was keeping people towards the front of the building. Something I noticed was that the various clubs who were present generally didn't bring cars to show. What having cars there did (I think) was draw attention away from the information that we wanted to present. Overall, I liked how VIR's booth was setup, with a large pop-up banner to attract attention and little else. I don't think having a car there helped attract attention as much as the banner did, because it was easily seen from a distance and didn't blend in with the rest of the cars present.

my $.02
Seems counter-intuitive but makes sense. Do you think the SCCA "You can race today" banner would attract more attention?
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI
hklvette
Veteran

Post by hklvette »

glenthompson wrote: Seems counter-intuitive but makes sense. Do you think the SCCA "You can race today" banner would attract more attention?
I took a picture of what VIR had. I'll get it off of my phone and posted here this evening.
-Henry Lehmann

sinutz
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by sinutz »

Kudos to Steffen for handling the set up Friday, Nice job and great ideas. My break down of the weekend, Sorry for the delay but I've been playing catch up........
Friday was slow due to being the first day of the show. This is never a good day to gauge this event per the show staff.
Steve and I had fairly good luck talking to people on Saturday morning and the Corvair was a big attraction and conversation starter. Sunday morning was dead but that's to be expected due to church. The afternoon was busy and several good contacts were made.

I did notice there were people stopping by that were former members or had auto crossed with the club in the past that were interested in coming to local events. We made sure they had the web address and mentioned the schedule.

And yes VIR did have a nice kiosk set up which we need to consider (Thanks for bringing that up Henry). The investment is not bad as we can get a 10' booth that's big enough to attract attention.

In the future if we decide to do this again we can get closer to the main entrance. This will put us in the main flow of traffic and the cost is the same. We were in the farthest area at the event which may have had an impact on traffic but were part of the racetrack section and had no control over where we were placed.

Thanks to all who took time out of your busy schedules to support the club.
Rob Leslie

2000 S2000 #413 BS
1988 CRX SI #228 DM
n33d4sp33d13
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by n33d4sp33d13 »

we did have the baner that says "your car can compete today"

so what im gathering is maybe if we do this again try to be closer to the main flow of traffic, try and get some sort of larger banner seen from a distance that really potrays our message of "you can race today". and maybe only have one car where as not to attract to much attention but to maybe start a conversation.

somethin i did notice was several people stopped me and asked if davids corvair was my car. i of course said no but got me thinking that once i said no most people just continued to look at the car and wondered off. if it had been my car it would have been a way to start a conversation and opened the door for me to give out information once a conversation was started. i noticed when david was there he was talking to people about his car ALOT. so in conclusion mabe next time we use a car of someone that will be around the show alot?
Steffen Clark
Red 2019 Toyota Tundra
hklvette
Veteran

Post by hklvette »

n33d4sp33d13 wrote:*snip*

somethin i did notice was several people stopped me and asked if davids corvair was my car. i of course said no but got me thinking that once i said no most people just continued to look at the car and wondered off. if it had been my car it would have been a way to start a conversation and opened the door for me to give out information once a conversation was started. i noticed when david was there he was talking to people about his car ALOT. so in conclusion mabe next time we use a car of someone that will be around the show alot?
This actually concerns me the most. Of all of those people David talked to, how many expressed interest in autocross? If it did help, then we can continue to have one there for the reasons you've stated. My worry is that the car attracts too much attention to itself (not that David's Corvair doesn't deserve it), and not to the group that put it there.

+1 for getting closer to the entrance. Keep in mind though that the clubs represented with one table (and no car) were closest to the door and consequently the most visible.
-Henry Lehmann

DLingenfelter
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by DLingenfelter »

n33d4sp33d13 wrote: somethin i did notice was several people stopped me and asked if davids corvair was my car. i of course said no but got me thinking that once i said no most people just continued to look at the car and wondered off. if it had been my car it would have been a way to start a conversation and opened the door for me to give out information once a conversation was started. i noticed when david was there he was talking to people about his car ALOT. so in conclusion mabe next time we use a car of someone that will be around the show alot?
One thing to remember is that this was a car show and activity numero uno with the show and shine boys is finding a car you like or have owned and BS'ing for half an hour with the owner. While everyone in the room was definately a car guy the hard part is the conversion from car show guy to race driver.
So...next time if we do use some cars we make a basic fact sheet on the cars presented so each booth worker knows something to get the ball rolling on conversation with those guys. Tell them what you know about the car like how the Corvair is a loud tailhappy beast that's often in the running for FTD. Talk about how lately there has ben a handful of Corvairs at events in the summer and that David C. builds these things for vintage road racing, the street and autocross. For Jeff's car you could talk about how since it's a 2.5rs there's no turbo lag and it gets on 3 wheels around sharp corners.
Car guys love to shoot the breeze about cars and that can be a great segue to luring them to an event. "I mean man you really need to see this thing hauling ass around the course! Spectating's free but you can drive your own car too as long as it's not a mini van or Land Rover."

Great job with the booth and getting our name out there though guys. Hopefully this will take us away from the "Secret Sports Car Club of America".
David Lingenfelter
18STS2
hemitud
Veteran
Competition Car: Dodge

Post by hemitud »

^^ very good info
Tim
11 XP - maybe
1993 V8 - S10