Non-autox related topics

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

EcoRacerD17
Pylons are afraid of me!
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Mazda

Predictions for Street class?

Post by EcoRacerD17 »

Searched some but (understandably) haven't found anything concrete. I believe I may have posed this question when the Toyobaru was nearly hitting showrooms, but how do you all guess the new ND MX-5's are going to be classed in Street?

Rumors have it anywhere between ES and BS, personally I think it will end up in CS, and could be a very strong contender at that! So what you all think?
Matthew Wilkinson
STF: 2004 Honda Civic Ex(treme) [totalled]
HS: 2005 Honda Civic EX SE(quel)
STF: 2004 Toyota Matrix XRS [gone]
ES: 1999 Mazda Miata Sport
??: 1991 Miata XO project
Liberty Motorsports
sjfehr
Competition Car: Porsche

Re: Predictions for Street class?

Post by sjfehr »

There's been a lot of chatter on this. There is a very good chance they'll be faster than the twins and come to dominate CS, but would most likely be buried and uncompetitive in BS. So does SCCA class them conservatively in BS to protect the existing CS balance? Or legislate them as the new "car to have" in CS? I think a lot really depends on how the car actually does, and we won't know that until people with known (and benchmarkable) skills have a chance to autocross them.

In the meantime, I'm speculating CS, too, as ND is expected to be a little faster than the NC, probably similar performance to the twins, and certainly fits better with the CS lightweight/low-power philosophy than with the ES budget-racers or more powerful BS cars. If ND is as popular as the other Miatas, it could start a new dynasty. I think some of the older/slower CS cars may get reclassed to ES at the same time.
fspmx6
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: 92_mazda_mx6

Post by fspmx6 »

CS seems to be a good fit for them. I doubt that they're going to completely dominate the other mx5's in CS as they are down on power as well as weight. I'd put it more to the driver than the car at our level.
Hey, what does this thing do *zap* oww,.... so that's what it does!
sjfehr
Competition Car: Porsche

Post by sjfehr »

The ND has slightly less peak horsepower, but it has significant more power & torque at lower RPM and is actually a few tenths of a second quicker from 0-60 than the supposedly more powerful NC. It's also faster 0-60 than the BRZ/FR-S. So, basically, it has a lot more torque & power where it really counts for autocross.