Goblins Go Time Trial at VIR

Discussion about club racing, time trials, and high performance driving events.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

glenthompson
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Caldwell

Goblins Go Time Trial at VIR

Post by glenthompson »

This past weekend I ran the TT on teh south course at VIR. Except for the rain on Friday night, it was a wonderful fall weekend.

For those unfamiliar with the format, you get a 20 minute practice session on Sat morning then a series of timed runs. For the timed runs, you get a warm-up lap, three timed runs and a cool down lap. Over the two days it was possible to get 7 sets of runs in for 21 timed laps.

The track was still wet for the first practice group on Sat and was very slippery. I managed to go off in Oak Tree but just bounced along the grass until reentering the track. By the end of the practice sessions, the track was mostly dry.

My first runs were in the high 90s but by the end of the day I got down to 96.4. At the social Sat night, Greg Hastings gave me some pointers for a few of the turns. His suggestins gave me better exit speed and I was shifting much sooner on teh straight.

On Sun I was able to get down to a 94.2. This made me the slowest Miata there but all the others were in different classes. I ran SSC, there was an 01 Miata in SSB and two in CSP.

Braking points are still a problem for me. I know I was losing a lot of time by braking too early at the end of the straight but it's hard to judge when you're going 95-100.
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI
Chiketkd
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Mitsubishi

Post by Chiketkd »

Sounds like you had an awesome time Glen. 8)

Steve Rankins was there with his STi in BSP and clocked a 79.9 second lap. Here's a link to a video of his fastest run:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... xer4racing

Chike
Chike D.