Oak Tree National Recap

Discussion about club racing, time trials, and high performance driving events.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Oak Tree National Recap

Post by aged racer »

There were three BRR members on track this past weekend for the VIR Oak Tree Double National. Other than a soggy Saturday afternoon, the weather was much better than last month's March Memories.

Greg Crandall had a 4th on Saturday and a podium 3rd Sunday in F Production, driving his trusty 912.

Jeff Wendell relieved a dry spell with a WIN on Saturday and a 2nd on Sunday in his even trustier Neon (rumor has it he was turned down to run the Neon in the vintage races next weekend for some unknown reason).

Your humble correspondent finished 8th Saturday and 7th Sunday in the rabid Spec Miata class. Claw marks everywhere, but it was big dirty fun.

Several other BRR's were spotted working hard to make the event happen (Tod, how was that Toureg pace car?) Bill Bradley helped in Tech, and Eric was corner captain!

If I've left anyone out, please correct the record. Good weekend, lots of fast cars and killer hauler units (what does it mean when someone has a trailer worth more than my race car, trailer, tow truck, and then some...).

SARRC racing returns to VIR next month on Mother's Day weekend, followed by the big Double SARRC/ ECR/ CCPS put on by the NC Region on Memorial Day weekend).

Steve
RexRacer
Resident Track Wench

Post by RexRacer »

So...mr. aged racer dood...are you able to use your real name on the entry list now? :)
tac911t
Pylons are afraid of me!
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Jetta

Post by tac911t »

Chris Layne also worked F&C last weekend. There were other local drivers there who are members of NCR (Randy Carter - EP, Denton Stanley - SSC).

I worked the Pace Car that weekend, which was fun, but had some quiet time during the day. There were 5 of us rotating through the Pace Car, which was a good number, since there were two split start groups.

Saturday we had use of the typical VIR Silver Mini (balding tires and worn out clutch), and used a Pace Car drivers personal car for the split start.
On Sunday, the Mini was tagged to work the Patriot course, for a Flow Mini event. The Track provided a V10 Diesel Touareg for our use. We used the private car as the primary pace car, and the Touareg as the split start car. There is a concern in the Southeast division using a SUV/Truck as a pace car. In the past when these were used during full course yellows, drivers passed the pace car, claiming that they though the pace car was an Emergency Vehicle. We did use the Touareg as the lunch drive around pace car, and it handled that duty very well. For a $75K SUV, it was a very nice SUV.

VW is the new Official Vehicle supplier of VIR. The VW Jetta Diesel Cup Series has a 3 year contract to lease a building at the track. The Cup cars will be stored and prepped at VIR, with the first race being during the Bosch Grand Am at the end of the month. R32’s are scheduled to be the new Track Pace Car. We were not able to use them this past weekend, since they had not been through dealer prep, and there were shipping spacers in the springs (I had read on the GTI forum, where some of the Mark V GTI’s did not have these spacers removed during dealer prep, and new owners were driving around with a higher ride height!).

Todd
aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by aged racer »

Jeff- I'm sort of one foot in the closet, one out. Figure as long as we keep it amongst ourselves things s/be OK.

Pace car driving sounds pretty cool, might be the best way to at least lead one lap!