Track Car Suggestions

Non-autox related topics

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

ltborg
Pylons are afraid of me!
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Track Car Suggestions

Post by ltborg »

I know it has been a while since I've posted so hi to everyone and I hope all is well.

After finally finishing my masters, getting my house unpacked and cleaned up, and fixing my back with a bunch of physical therapy, I have just enough free time to be dangerous, and that has me thinking about going racing again. I still have the Z06 (2002) that I bought before I left with the intention of running in ASP, but it has never seen the track. Where I am in Texas, autocrosses (and track days for that matter) are a little harder to come by then in Blacksburg. Since I don't really have a prepped car yet, I've been trying to figure out a car that would be a good candidate for multiple SCCA and/or NASA classes for autocross and track days and I am looking for suggestions.

Since the events are so far of a drive, I figure I will even up with a tow vehicle so it doesn't have to be road legal. I know that there is no way to get a perfect car for multiple classes so what I am looking for is something I could prep for one class (to eventually run nationally) but still run in other classes at events that are light in terms of competition.

Those of you that know me probably know I am looking for something RWD and reasonably fast. I get about all the slow, FWD I can handle at work. Being in a class that allows plenty of tinkering with the suspension is also a plus.

The current list of options I've come up with includes:
1 - Keep the Z06, run ASP autocross and ST2/TTS in NASA (leaves the option to move up to TTU/ST1 in NASA and STO I believe in SCCA)
2 - Follow in Jeff Underwood's footsteps and built a Locost (not really sure what classes that could run in yet, any help would be appreciated)
3 - Suck it up and get a formula car now (ideally F1000 but probably an older FF is more realistic)

Option 1 would be the easiest but would probably be the hardest to work on and the most expensive (highest priced car, Corvette tax on parts, larger tow vehicle needed). Option 2 would be really fun, nice and light, less complex (no ps, abs, etc) but might be fairly limited on track time from lack of classes. Option 3 would be a good class with lots of competition and would be a true race car but I couldn't run track days since it's open wheel, would limit me to in terms of experimenting with suspension bits, and couldn't have a rider/instructor at events.

I am open to any thoughts (vintage cars, stock car based road racers, etc) so let's hear your thoughts. Any fun cars/classes you think would be worth a shot? What made you all go with the car/class combination you did? Thanks in advance,

Lane
Lane Borg
#? AS - Slowly inching closer to racing again
2004 Corvette Coupe
Goodyear Engineer/Test Driver
http://www.VTMotorsports.com
drum3
Veteran

Re: Track Car Suggestions

Post by drum3 »

Lane , the locost option is cool but if it were me , I'd be looking at a BMW 3 series ( good for NASA , and SCCA IT racing plus autocrosses) or one of the many pony cars , mustang or camaro that could be run in NASA , ITE , SPO , hill climbs or autocross under CP .
Anthony Hodges
DSP 72

www.motorpride.com/TeamBorderline
glenthompson
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Caldwell

Post by glenthompson »

I'm guessing that your engineering abilities will keep you out of the stock classes - not enough to play with. A formula cars offers the most adjustment.

The Locost goes in one of the Mod classes - not sure where but it varies with the engine size.

Any particular makes of cars you like? I like the support that Mazda provides so I plan to stick with them. My Miata's reliability has been a big plus.

I haven't seen that many formula cars that have done well in Solo. When setup for the track, it's not good for an autocross course.

I'd also recommend looking into buying a car ready to race instead of building. You'll save a lot of money that you can use for track time.
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI
aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by aged racer »

Not sure what your budget is, but it's hard to beat a Miata for all around versatility and cost effectiveness. You could start with a stock one for autox in CS/ES, install a Spec Miata suspension kit and run track days or CSP/ ST etc. Supercharge it. Put a V8 in it. Buy/ sell/ trade parts for it all day long. Race it in SCCA/ NASA in Spec Miata or ITA (NA) or ITS (NB). Or just put the top down and enjoy it.

Parts are cheap and there's a world of info and support on line.

I have two '99's, an SM and one for the street I bought bone stock w/ 110K miles that is super solid and the recipient of all the extra bits and leftover pieces from building the SM (one of these days maybe a V8).

Steve

http://www.flyinmiata.com/
htthttp://www.mazdaspeeddevelopment.com/index.php
http://www.specmiata.com/
http://www.miata.net/
At-Large Member- SARRC Race Committee

Will race (and autocross) for food.
LynnCombs
Veteran
Competition Car: Corvette

Post by LynnCombs »

Lane,

Put the Z06 on the track.. you can pick up another one for what it will cost to build a locost. You will have a blast in the z06... nothing like it at VIR.
Lynn Combs
drum3
Veteran

Post by drum3 »

I would have suggested Miata but Lane said he wanted something High Horsepower and I figured even a boosted Miata would be down on HP compared to his Vetts .
Anthony Hodges
DSP 72

00GTJustin
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by 00GTJustin »

Plus he doesn't fit, IIRC...
Gearing up for the 2013 CSP Showdown
ltborg
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by ltborg »

00GTJustin wrote:Plus he doesn't fit, IIRC...
That is true. Two of the drivers here have Miatas (one Mazdaspeed) and they are great little cars but I really do not fit well at all. It wasn't too much of an issue until the doctor said I need to watch my lower back. Not that many cars are made for people with long torsos. A new style Miata fits better and I wouldn't need to change the steering wheel to make room for my leg to hit the clutch, but it's still a little low on power.

It doesn't need to be high HP, just decent power to weight. Stock Miata with the turbo (2004 Mazdaspeed) is 13.2 lbs/hp while the Z06 is 7.69 lbs/hp (Crank HP calculated). In an ideal world it would be a light car with good power to weight for better cornering and lower stresses overall.

I am thinking about just getting a prepped car as opposed to building one. Now that I have a big garage (and a real job), I can handle a daily and a racer so unlike in the past, that's an option now.

The BMW is a good idea Anthony. One of the guys on the FSAE team had one he raced so that could be an option. Any idea how much a good one of those goes for? For the most part those are E30s right?

I know the first post was a little vague so I'll try to help out a little. I don't have a budget set yet. I'd like to come up with what seem like the best options for me, then weigh costs. I'd love a F1000 car but I am 99.9% sure that will be out of my final budget. In the end, the budget will depend on how many races I need to attend to be competitive for a season. There seem to be a few double points events in Texas and there look to be only about 6 weekends a year, but from what I have seen, you only need to be at about 3 to do ok in points. That cuts down on a lot of travel expenses and means a little more expensive car and/or multiple points series might be ok. That's how I'm looking at the budget right now.

I'm mainly looking for something that will be usable for a decent amount of time. I thought I saw something somewhere about cars in certain NASA classes needing to be less than 10 years old. I think that was misinformation but I am trying to avoid things like that. The C5 seems to be reasonably competitive with the C6 is several classes so that keeps it as an option. Miatas will certainly have a place to compete for a long time. I don't really care if the class changes over time, just that I can still use the same car.

Glen, you bring up a really good point about support. Contingency plans are definitely something I am taking into consideration. I know Honda and Mazda have decent plans and I am definitely open to those. I can probably find tires and other parts for most cars that have plans with those companies. The one catch is for the most part, I drive FWD cars and pickups/SUVs all day so I really want something sportier, and preferably RWD (maybe AWD). That limits the Honda and Mazda options to just one car each I believe.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming.
Lane Borg
2004 Corvette Coupe
glenthompson
Veteran

Post by glenthompson »

Not that many cars are made for people with long torsos.
That's the same problem I have and the Miata works well since it has infinite headroom. :D I do get into issues with the helmet sticking above the roll bar in the stock seat. With the seat I bought from you I have plenty of headroom even with the hardtop on. It's mounted almost on the floor.
Stock Miata with the turbo (2004 Mazdaspeed) is 13.2 lbs/hp while the Z06 is 7.69 lbs/hp
My aging Miata with my big butt in it is easily 2700 lbs, giving me close to a 30:1 ratio. Not sure I could handle 10:1.
VW Jetta TDI
drum3
Veteran

Post by drum3 »

Lane , Barry Stewart is about 6'5" around 250-75lbs and fits in his STS Miata pretty easily . You could easily put custom seats in that allow you plenty of comfort . The BMW and mustangs might not have the best contingencies but because of the amount of them racing parts are relatively cheap . Same can be said for the Miata .
Anthony Hodges
DSP 72

ltborg
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by ltborg »

drum3 wrote:Lane , Barry Stewart is about 6'5" around 250-75lbs and fits in his STS Miata pretty easily . You could easily put custom seats in that allow you plenty of comfort . The BMW and mustangs might not have the best contingencies but because of the amount of them racing parts are relatively cheap . Same can be said for the Miata .
I know I can fit in a Miata, just not stock. Those are not out of the question. I just dislike spec classes where people spend tons of money to get an engine with 2 more HP. From a competition stand point having different cars makes it more fun to me. You might end up with one person better out of corners but with less power and the cars may act differently in the rain, etc. I've been looking at the touring classes in SCCA and how those would transfer to NASA. It looks like T1 for the Vette would be PTA or ST2 for NASA. To save on tires, something smaller like a S2000 in T3 might convert to a HC or PT something in NASA. I'm not sure I would get the power I want there but it's a thought.

Are the Miatas competitive in something other than SM for road racing? Would they have any correlation to an autocross class? IIRC the SP cars are suppose to be similar to IT road race cars.
Lane Borg
2004 Corvette Coupe
glenthompson
Veteran

Post by glenthompson »

For Solo:

Spec Miata -> DSP in Solo
Showroom Stock -> ES or CS
ITA -> CSP

Miatas can be in GT1 and GT3 with rotary engines
In Prepared its EP, same in Solo for the 1.8, FP for the 1.6

A SSB Miata with roll bar or cage and racing seat is legal in Solo stock class.
VW Jetta TDI
drum3
Veteran

Post by drum3 »

Miatas are very competitive in SCCA ITA , and have won several endurance overalls in that class and they transfer straight to CSP for autocross . I cant remember what NASA class but they do well in ITA trim in NASA also .
Anthony Hodges
DSP 72