Potential engine for SM2?

Non-autox related topics

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

mrtwo
Pylons are afraid of me!
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Potential engine for SM2?

Post by mrtwo »

Something to do during the off season . . . . .

While reading the latest Maritime Engineering periodical I found the following engine ad:

20 cylinder Detroit Diesel engine, 3000 HP @ 1900 RPM with 6 turbos. Completely rebuilt and dyno tested. On special for only $144,000

For you guys wanting to run hybrids, they also offer the same diesel with a 3000 kW Kato generator attached.

This engine swap would probably put you in SM2 class, but maybe they'd give you a break because the engine weights about 90,000 lbs.

Tim R
Tim R
rschumin
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Honda

Re: Potential engine for SM2?

Post by rschumin »

mrtwo wrote:Something to do during the off season . . . . .

While reading the latest Maritime Engineering periodical I found the following engine ad:

20 cylinder Detroit Diesel engine, 3000 HP @ 1900 RPM with 6 turbos. Completely rebuilt and dyno tested. On special for only $144,000

For you guys wanting to run hybrids, they also offer the same diesel with a 3000 kW Kato generator attached.

This engine swap would probably put you in SM2 class, but maybe they'd give you a break because the engine weights about 90,000 lbs.

Tim R
I'm pretty sure the engine has to be from the same manufacturer as the car to be legal in the Street Mod classes, but it might work in a prepared class. Do you think it would fit in a Miata?
Ray
........_\____
......./__|___\__
......(O)_ _(O)_|
hklvette
Veteran
Competition Car: BumminRides

Post by hklvette »

rschumin wrote:

Tim R
I'm pretty sure the engine has to be from the same manufacturer as the car to be legal in the Street Mod classes, but it might work in a prepared class. Do you think it would fit in a Miata?
It might with some massaging. Don't forget to update the suspension to cope with the extra weight :)
-Henry Lehmann
BRR Solo Chair, Treasurer, and Equipment Steward

"If you want to get it done, you have to do it yourself."
DLingenfelter
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by DLingenfelter »

hklvette wrote:
rschumin wrote:

Tim R
It might with some massaging. Don't forget to update the suspension to cope with the extra weight :)
Hell put that thing in the grand Prix Henry! I know it'll fit in there!
David Lingenfelter
18STS2
fspmx6
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: 92_mazda_mx6

Post by fspmx6 »

Im sure they make a kit somewhere so that you can bolt it into the back of an old beetle.
Hey, what does this thing do *zap* oww,.... so that's what it does!