Non-autox related topics

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

glenthompson
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Caldwell

Driving games or simulators

Post by glenthompson »

I need a PC or Wii based driving simulator or game to use for a corporate event. It should be easy to learn and play. A short event needs to be available as I don't want people having to playing for 10 to 15 minutes. A 1 to 2 minute session is ideal. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI
hklvette
Veteran
Competition Car: BumminRides

Re: Driving games or simulators

Post by hklvette »

Glen,

How realistic does it have to be? If it doesn't have to be realistic at all, Mario Kart comes to mind. An alternative is rFactor for PC, but I don't remember if it has any short events.
-Henry Lehmann
BRR Solo Chair, Treasurer, and Equipment Steward

"If you want to get it done, you have to do it yourself."
glenthompson
Veteran
Competition Car: Caldwell

Post by glenthompson »

Prefer more towards the realistic side. It's for a safety fair and I'm trying to simulate distracted driving. Have them run the game while throwing distractions at them like reading a text message.
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI
Letze
Competition Car: Miata

Post by Letze »

One I love is Track Mania United Forever (Track Mania Nations Forever is the free version with only one car type and the arena type environment)

The game focuses on timed laps around a course, the course creation tools are included with the game and easy to pick up. The course types range from mild to outlandish in design and any slight distraction could greatly alter your times. This makes it like auto cross for stunt courses. Courses tend to be between 20 second to 2 min runs on average, the longest course I've done was roughly 5 mins long. This would allow for a minimal learning curve and quick repetition to better your time. Easily seeing how much the distraction cost you in time. I play this quite a bit in my off time to help me better objectively think about courses I've never run or seen before.

Official Site and standalone download here
http://www.trackmania.com/index.php?rub=nations
Its available on steam for free here
http://store.steampowered.com/app/11020/?snr=1_4_4__13

This game is also available on the Wii console though I've never played that version.

Another fun PC favorite of mine is Flat Out 2, the successive versions tend to be problematic and buggy, mostly all just rehashes of this game, I have a disk copy I'm willing to let you borrow if you want to get a feel for it, I also have a PS2 version you're welcome to borrow with a PS2 to play it on.

This game is the demo derby of car racing bumping smashing, ramming and sandwiching other cars helps you gain boost and money in the game, forcing your opponent into a tree can also gain you some positions and throw a competitor back into the pack. It has mostly realistic physics and correlating car damage, hit the right front too hard into a tree, you're going to be pulling to the right for the rest of the race, you might even bust the wheel clean off dragging that rotor around the track till either time runs out or you limp across the finish line.

If you'd like to use this game just pm me and I'll be happy to drop off a PS2 and the game for you to take a look at.

Here's the game's trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62glRshC2Zc
Gameplay Video as trailers are aimed at selling things :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4CG_DaMigQ
Chason
NB2 Miata Base
fspmx6
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: 92_mazda_mx6

Post by fspmx6 »

what about a PS2 ( i can loan you the system if needed) game like grand tourismo.
the 3rd ed. of the game has some challanging "practice" courses, as well as some real ones ( laguna seca, infineon ). which can be done in 1 lap intervals. i even have a stearing wheel and pedals for the system. ( i rarely play the PS anymore and wouldnt mind loaning it out for a good cause ). additionally i can set up one for whatever car is available for them to use.
Hey, what does this thing do *zap* oww,.... so that's what it does!
fordmax
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by fordmax »

I would agree with using a PS2/3...there are some great driving sims for that. Two that I have played are Gran Turismo 5 and Need for Speed Shift. Shift in particular because of the in car perspective...truly amazing on a big screen.

I have a racing-sim seat with steering wheel, shifter and pedals that will work with a PC or PS3 if you want to borrow it. It's got a Corbeau racing seat that I would happily use in my car. Let me know...
Ford Northen
DSP #337 GTI
n33d4sp33d13
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by n33d4sp33d13 »

for PC based, the game GTR2 is fairly good and even has VIR as one of the tracks that you can drive and i can tell you from both experience playing the game and being on VIR in real life that it is somewhat realistic. otherwise gran turismo 5 for PS3 is the most realistic game out there in my opinion.
Steffen Clark
White/Orange 1991 Mazda Miata ITA/ STL
Dark grey 2014 Subaru WRX STI D Street
White 1984 Plymouth Colt Turbo SMF
1991 Mazda "hacked" Miata A Mod
Red 1984 Plymouth Colt Turbo
Red 2019 Toyota Tundra
Letze
Competition Car: Miata

Post by Letze »

Spoke to Glen at the Awards ceremony about this, he mentioned he was going a different way with this, no games it seems.

Best of luck with the project Glen!
Chason
NB2 Miata Base