Non-autox related topics

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

Cone Eater
Novice
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: SubaruSTI

Hi! Moving to the area

Post by Cone Eater »

Hi BRR! My name is Matt and I'll be moving to Charlottesville at the end of May to start my medical residency at UVA. I just wanted to introduce myself and get a feel for the autocross action in the area. I've been autocrossing for 8 years now in several different regions. I started in a WRX and just last season bought an 06 Subaru STI which I run in ASP. If you're interested, I keep a journal on the car at IWSTI.com HERE. I'm hoping to get as much racing in as possible before July when work starts, at which point I'll likely disappear for a while.

Couple of quick questions: how do you work your numbering system? I need new magnets now that the STI got moved from BSP to ASP.
Also, I've heard VA is a lot stricter on vehicle modification than most states - any laws I should know about before I get there and get pulled over? Thanks!
rschumin
Veteran
Competition Car: Honda

Re: Hi! Moving to the area

Post by rschumin »

Welcome aboard Matt!
Couple of quick questions: how do you work your numbering system? I need new magnets now that the STI got moved from BSP to ASP.
Our numbers are unique within the event. If you want to register a reserved number contact me and I'll get you set up.

Also, I've heard VA is a lot stricter on vehicle modification than most states - any laws I should know about before I get there and get pulled over? Thanks!
I think Northern Virginia is worse than around here. A tastefully modified car with an exhaust that isn't obnoxiously loud should be OK.
Ray
........_\____
......./__|___\__
......(O)_ _(O)_|
fspmx6
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: 92_mazda_mx6

Post by fspmx6 »

I've found that as far as the mod's go, most local officers really dont know what is or isn't legal. for example a friend of mine was ticketed 3 times by the same officer in rapid succession for "noise violation", mainly due to having a shiney chrome "tip", despite the fact that it was far quieter than his father's stock mustang GT at any given RPM. mostly they look for the flashy stuff and then try to find things they can ticket you for. on that same example, i've never gotten a second look that im aware of for the volume of my mazda, when set next to that same GT, you couldnt even tell the 'stang was running.
Hey, what does this thing do *zap* oww,.... so that's what it does!
n33d4sp33d13
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by n33d4sp33d13 »

anytime i get pulled over i tell the officer the car is older than i am and that i do not know what noise laws where around in the early 80's. the officer usually just quietly walks back to his car after verifying my license, issurance, and registration.
Steffen Clark
White/Orange 1991 Mazda Miata ITA/ STL
Dark grey 2014 Subaru WRX STI D Street
White 1984 Plymouth Colt Turbo SMF
1991 Mazda "hacked" Miata A Mod
Red 1984 Plymouth Colt Turbo
Red 2019 Toyota Tundra