2016 Road Race Driver of the Year Nominations

Discussion about club racing, time trials, and high performance driving events.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

2016 Road Race Driver of the Year Nominations

Post by aged racer »

The Blue Ridge Region had (12) drivers compete in SCCA Club racing in 2016 (assuming I didn't miss anybody- please holler if so! :mrgreen:).

Brad K. will post a summary soon with a complete recap, but there are (4) drivers with full season/ multi-race results that are worth of mention when we consider the upcoming Road Race Driver of the Year award.

In alphabetical order:

Case Crowell raced in the SARRC Northern Division in Spec Miata with a cumulative finish of 8th in year-end points, qualifying for a year-end SARRC trophy. As you might expect SM is very competitive in the SEDiv.

Scott Krzastek raced SSM in the MARRS series at Summit Point and VIR, finishing just out of the top ten in year-end MARRS points. SSM (1st Gen 1.6L Spec Miata’s with spec tires and horsepower limits) is hyper –competitive at Summit Point with regular fields of 50 or more cars.

Steve Layfield raced in the SARRC North as well, also trophying with a 3rd place finish in ITA. This is a solid class in the SARRC North and I believe it’s Steve’s best year-end points finish to date.

Lastly, Drew Strickland raced in the MARRS series in ITB, with a 3rd place year-end points finish. This was Drew’s first season running with the MARRS series, and he raced at Summit Point, VIR, and Pittsburgh International Raceway. (Full disclosure- yes, Drew is my son!)

I had a chance to watch all these guys race this year (along with many of the others on the final recap). Any of the four would be a very worthy nominee for the Road Racer of the Year award.

Steve
At-Large Member- SARRC Race Committee

Will race (and autocross) for food.
aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Re: 2016 Road Race Driver of the Year Nominations

Post by aged racer »

Folks, an update: Case Crowell is not an BRR member, and thus is not eligible for our award.

Mea culpa (Latin for "my bad" :oops: )- he is listed as BRR on the annual SARRC point recaps but that is in fact an error.

So, that still leaves us with three very worthy candidates: Scott Krzastek, Steve Layfield, and Drew Strickland!

Steve
At-Large Member- SARRC Race Committee

Will race (and autocross) for food.