CMP Time Trial report

Discussion about club racing, time trials, and high performance driving events.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

glenthompson
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Caldwell

CMP Time Trial report

Post by glenthompson »

I spent this weekend in Kershaw, SC running the Track Trials at Carolina Motorsports Park (CMP). A fun but lightly attended event. We had 36 people running the TT along with an additional 50 or so running the level 1 PDX. We used the full track with the TT running a session, followed by the 3 groups of the PDX. This allowed 4 on-track sessions per day.

Since this was my first TT event, I thought reviewing what I did would be helpful for others wanting to try it out. I was running my Miata so making sure it had the right safety equipment was the first item. My harness was 6 years old and TTs require it to be 5 years or less. That required purchasing a new set of belts with arm restraints since putting a window net in the Miata would be difficult. My roll bar was already legal so I was covered there. Only other item required was a fire extinguisher mounted in the car.

For personal gear the list was much more extensive. A protective racing suit is required. It can either be a multi-layer suit or a single layer with fireproof underwear. I opted for the single layer as I needed a two piece to fit properly. I was able to purchase a number of items off EBay and save a little money. I also needed a new helmet as my old one was M rated and TTs require a SA rated helmet. Due to my moustache I also needed a balaclava. My gear bag ended up with the following items: helmet, long underwear, socks, balaclava, gloves, and shoes. I was able to buy it all for less than $600.

I arrive at CMP (5 hour tow from Roanoke) and register but tech is closed. I unload the car and get it ready for tech inspection in the morning. I get up at 6:30 and people are already rolling in the gate. I load up my gear and head over to the tech shed. Since it was my first inspection and I need a log book, it took awhile. I had to have an identification number stamped on my rollbar that was entered into the log book. All the pertinent car information had to be entered as well. The inspection also included checking of my personal gear. I get handed a loaner transponder that is used for timing. Hooking it to the car with zip-ties is a challenge. Most Miatas with towbars mount them there since front-back position isn't important.

Next is the driver's meeting covering the procedures for the day. Main points were covering the flags and what to do for each one. Any off track excursion was a black flag and required coming into the pits for a check. Starter would have a green flag for timed runs and a checkered flag for the end of session.

We then suit up and get in the grid area. Cars were grouped by types and performance. Formula cars were one group, sports racer another, all the Miatas (7) in a group, the Hondas and other small sedans, and the V8 cars. Each session consisted of a warm-up lap followed by timed laps then a cool-down lap. First session is a practice session and doesn't count for scoring. Cars are sent out with about 15-20 seconds between them. Passing is allowed only on straights and when acknowledged. Car being passed always stays on-line and passing car goes off the racing line to make the pass. Since this is my first time at CMP, I get passed on almost every session.

Saturday started with the practice session of 2 timed laps. My best lap was 2:16. Our next session was 3 timed laps with my best at 2:12. Then it start raining at the start of the 3rd session. Track is wet but no standing water. I go out with my V710s and run a 2:21. A couple of cars slide off the track but no damage. We have the option of a 4th session but it's raining harder and would require rain tires. I opt to skip the session so I don't have to change tires in the rain. Most others do the same since Sunday's forecast is for clear and sunny.

I set a goal Sunday of getting under 2:10. In the first session I go out and get down to 2:11. Next session is about the same. Third session is extended to include 4 timed laps. I'm still running 2:11 but times are more consistent with less than 2 seconds between best and worst. It looks like we'll get our 4th session before 3:30 but one of the modified Camaros messes up in the kink on the back straight and rearranges the tire wall. Driver is ok but car needs a lot of fiberglass. Everything is held up for ½ hour while course is rebuilt. I decide to pack it up and get an early start home.

The other drivers were very helpful in pointing out faster lines through the different sections. When I get passed by another driver, I try to follow their line and learn something. Noticing their braking points is helpful since that's my weak area. I found that I'm braking too soon and not at the threshold.

The track is a bit spartan compared to VIR but has plenty of paddock space. All the paddock is grass and sand. There are plenty of electric outlets - as many or more than VIR. There are restrooms and showers for campers. Food service is limited. For those not staying at the track, motels are about 5 miles away.
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI
drum3
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by drum3 »

We usually stay at "the executive inn" ,,,,really,its a nice place,but theres only 2 restaraunts in town and 1 closes at 6 pm !!!! The Thing I like most about CMP is there is tons of runoff room !!!!!
Anthony Hodges
DSP 72

www.motorpride.com/TeamBorderline
ldstang50

Post by ldstang50 »

nice write up!
svann

CMP

Post by svann »

Glen,
It was good to see you at the TTs at CMP. I also had a great weekend and thought CCR did a good job. The PDE seemed to also go well and the smiles on the faces told the story. I ran there last year for the first time but we only used the "faster" section and not the entire course. I really thought the format worked well with the hour break allowing just enough time to try new setups and discuss different lines, to try the next session.
I've been autocrossing since 1972 and hillclimbing and time trialing since 1996 at Beech Mountain. Like I told you, I still enjoy both and do about 6 of each every year. I hope more folks will at least consider trying this segment of our sport. As you said, the necessary safety equipment is available on Ebay at very reasonable prices and they should last many years.
The Blue Mountain Region is having a TT event up at Summit Point on the Jeffereson Curcuit over Memorial Day weekend and they will have novice licenses available on site. This is a nice laid back event on one of my favorite tracks. Info can be found at www.pahillclimb.org

See ya soon,
Stan Vann
'70 Caldwell D9 FF1600
mroberts

Post by mroberts »

What's the typical entry cost ?
svann

Post by svann »

Generally in the $150 range for the weekend.
glenthompson
Veteran
Competition Car: Caldwell

Post by glenthompson »

This one was $150 plus $10 for transponder rental. For that you got 40+ laps on the track. Some events are less than $100.
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI
svann

Post by svann »

I just checked the PHA site and the Spring Jefferson TT will be $135 plus all your meals for the weekend. Having attended for the past few years, this is a real bargain. Registration will open in about a week.
Scott
Veteran

Post by Scott »

where can I find a schedule for TT's?
drum3
Veteran

Post by drum3 »

NASA's schedule is on their NASA Pro Racing site,You can find the SCCA TT's under individual Regions web sites.Its easiest for me to go to the individual tracks sites and see what is listed in their schedules.
Anthony Hodges
DSP 72

www.motorpride.com/TeamBorderline
LynnCombs
Veteran
Competition Car: Corvette

Post by LynnCombs »

Check out the SeDiv Racing web page... look under Time Trials http://www.sedivracing.org/
Lynn Combs
Scott
Veteran

Post by Scott »

thanks, I have been gathering the required driver safety gear in preperation for participating in some time trials next year
RexRacer
Resident Track Wench

Post by RexRacer »

Scott,

You should consider coming to the THSCC events next year. They have a great time trial program that is run at each event. All you will need for safety equipment is a Solo 1 legal roll bar, and a fire extinguisher. The other plus is that there is an entire driving weekend in addition to the TT. Here is the '07 schedule and info.

http://www.thscc.com/timetrial/

THSCC runs a great track event. They are one of my favorite groups to instruct with as well. Lots of good people and every weekend is safe and fun.
FP144

Post by FP144 »

I have run with them before,and the event was run very well. I plan to go to several events in 07 with them and NASA. :D
Chuck