Thinking about IT

Discussion about club racing, time trials, and high performance driving events.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

Peyton Canary
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Thinking about IT

Post by Peyton Canary »

Does our region have any IT cars racing? If so what,where and when? Looking at possibly trying this in 2008 or so. Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Peyton
tac911t
Pylons are afraid of me!
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Jetta

Post by tac911t »

Peyton,

I have at Nissan 1984 200SX that is an ITB car, that I race at VIR, Road Atlanta, Summit Point, etc. I would be happy to answer any questions that you have concerning IT racing. If you are interested in starting to race, the best thing you can do is start getting out to the track. Start attending the races as a specator, work the races (I can help you get signed up) or start crewing for people. Crewing does not have to be with an IT car, there are many people in Roanoke and Lynchburg that participate in the SCCA races at VIR (IT, Formula V, Production, etc).

There is a double race at Summit Point this weekend. The next SCCA race at VIR is the last weekend in October. In addition VIR is hosting a big Grand Am weekend the first weekend in October, and a 13 hour SCCA race the first weekend in November. Any of these races are good events to start with.

If you want to be racing in 2008 or starting to race in 2008, now is the time to start planning. You will need a car (purchased, rented, or built), a tow vehicle, trailer (or tow dolly), driver suit, helmet, gloves, shoes, socks, etc, and 2 driver schools (SCCA schools or 1 professional school and 1 SCCA school). After your two schools you need to complete 2 races to receive your full racing license. The closest SCCA racing schools to Roanoke are the ones at Summit Point (in March and October of each year), Savannah (February) and sometimes there is one at Kershaw, SC.

One plan would be to start looking for a race car now, it is strongly suggested that you purchase a race car that has a current log book and has run recently, rather than building a car. You can purchase a race car for pennies on the dollar vs. what it costs to build one. When you purchase a race car, you are purchasing all the parts used. When you build a car, you have to buy all the parts at new part prices (shocks, springs, rollcage, misc expensive racing parts). Once you have the car, you can plan to attend the Summit school in October 2007, then the March school in 2008, then be racing in April 2008.

Todd C
you can email me at tcohen at ntelos dot net
Peyton Canary

Thank you!

Post by Peyton Canary »

Todd,
Thanks for your reply. I will try to be at the two VIR events in October. I've only seen VIR on paper and TV but it looks pretty cool. I think buying a used race car sounds like the way to go to start out for sure. I'll e mail when I figure out a little more about what I want to do. Thanks again.
Peyton
drum3
Veteran

Post by drum3 »

Hey Peyton, We will also be running or Grand Am car at VIR all three weekends.You are welcome to come hang out with us for the 13 hour Endurance race(thursday-Sat nite).We have been fortunate to start outside pole 2 years in a row only to see some oner anxiuos driver take us out some where after dark.The first year we were running 3rd overall,fixed the car and still finished 2nd in class and 5th overall.We currently have 3 drivers, all but 1 you have autocrossed with.The 2 you have also own a IT Honda Civic that is done on the cheap.You can purchase a car like this for $4000 to $5000 pretty easy.
Anthony Hodges
DSP 72

www.motorpride.com/TeamBorderline
glenthompson
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Caldwell

Post by glenthompson »

The fall is a good time to find a car. After the Runoffs, a lot of national drivers sell cars and that triggers a cascade effect. Since it's the end of the season, many look to upgrade or go to a different class.

Another advantage of buying a used car is that many come with lots of spare parts. This usually includes extra wheels and tires.
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI
34nissan

RE: Thinking about IT

Post by 34nissan »

Peyton,

Saw your inquiry regarding getting into IT regional racing. I have been running IT for 10 years. I would be glad to discuss the pros and cons of production based car racing. I also have the car I have run for 10 years (ITS car) for sale. It is posted in the classifieds. Since BRR does not have a road racing program I usually do not visit this site very often so best if you give a call at 772-0023, would be glad to pass along my experiences!

Dave Ross