March VIR Race Cancelled/Moved

Discussion about club racing, time trials, and high performance driving events.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

tac911t
Pylons are afraid of me!
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Jetta

March VIR Race Cancelled/Moved

Post by tac911t »

Due to schedule changes by VIR (read into this what you will), the NCR March race typically scheduled for the 3rd weekend of March has been moved to Rockingham Speedway the weekend of March 10/11. There is not a SCCA race scheduled at VIR in March. It is also possible that the October race may not be held at VIR (also would be moved to Rockingham).

A revised schedule for the SARRC/MARRS double weekend in May could be shortend to a two day schedule. Practice/Qualifing in the morning, then the race in the afternoon, Saturday/Sunday, with a practice day on Friday (instead of Thursday).

Todd C.
aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by aged racer »

Yeah, that really blows. My ECR buddy and I ran it last year- max TT @ VIR. I would hate to see it and the October date go. That would only leave the MARRS/SARRC, the National, and the 13Hr for SCCA.

I ran my first regionals back at the Rock in the early '80's. Ran it in '04 with the PCA- it's OK, but not VIR....

Dang
LynnCombs
Veteran
Competition Car: Corvette

Post by LynnCombs »

What is the problem at VIR... do they not want the SCCA at the track? Do they only want us to work the corners for the big money events?
Lynn Combs
tac911t
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Jetta

Post by tac911t »

As of now, the October event is still on NCRs and VIRs calendar. So it may only be the March event that is lost.

I am not sure about the story behind VIR's decision to drop the March event. I am sure it had to do with maximizing the revenue for the weekend. NCR does provide (actually organizes) the workers for some Pro and Vintage weekends (not as many as in years past). And yes, NCR is still planning to work the April and October Grand am, and one or more Vintage weekends.

Todd

Note: The Grand Am in April will include Motorcycles as one of the race groups (full course)!
aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by aged racer »

Many long posts about this on some other forums, mucho disappointment. According to VIR's website, PCA has that weekend. Don't know if it's a money thing or something else. The irony is that was likely one the biggest amateur weekends of the year there, because of the two ECR's. We had almost 90 cars for the Sat ECR and around 60 for Sunday's, plus the other SARRC classes.