New Club racer in the BRR

Discussion about club racing, time trials, and high performance driving events.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

New Club racer in the BRR

Post by aged racer »

Well, Drew had a successful SCCA Double Driver's School last weekend at Roebling Road. A half day orientation and three full days of track time in my old SSC Protege has yielded a Novice Permit and a "ready to race" from his instructor.

If I may be permitted to brag a bit, Drew never put a foot wrong the whole weekend (well, one half spin), and laid down a best time of 1:27, several seconds faster than my best time in the National a couple of summers ago. There were 52 cars in his group, including 25 Spec Miatas. By the last practice race, he was 11th on the grid and the first non SM !

Enough of that, we'll go racing next month at the Rock so he can work on his Regional license. Overall, the SCCA Double School was a good venue, but all the BRR autocrossing and NASA schools he's done in the last two years made it possible for him to do well. SCCA schools do not teach the line or threshold braking- the goal is to run wheel to wheel, dodge the carnage, and practice starting and overtaking. Apparently a good number of attendees at this school had never been on a track before (and it showed).

If you are considering attending this school, there are some things that would be helpful to know. Drop me a line and I'll share the inside scoop. Hope we see y'all at the races this year.

Steve
RexRacer
Resident Track Wench

Post by RexRacer »

Congrats to Drew!

You guys have fun at the Rock!
drum3
Veteran

Post by drum3 »

Congrats !! Our own Ken Kalill was also down there in an ITC Honda getting his Novice permit,and will also be at Rockingham.GoodLuck guys !!
Anthony Hodges
DSP 72

www.motorpride.com/TeamBorderline
aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by aged racer »

Sorry I did not acknowledge Ken, did not realize he was a fellow BRR member. Congrats to him as well- making it through that school is a meaningful accomplishment ('cause a bunch didn't).

Steve