Non-autox related topics

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

IamRascal
Pylons are afraid of me!
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Beamer

Sunfire Hospital...

Post by IamRascal »

A few people came accross me at the exon along 58 a few miles outside of danville. The sunfire started heating up pretty bad so I decided to shut it down. Got towed into radford and awaiting the news from the mechanic tomorrow. I'll keep people updated. I want to say thanks to Tara for letting me use her car it was a great act of sportsmanship. Also thankyou to the 3 autocrossers that stopped at the gas station to see what was up. I don't know your names but wanted to thank you for the concern.

Stay tuned for the next episode, new engine, water pump, valves or etc.......more to come.
- Chris
98 M3/4/5 Child Transport and Course runner
hemitud
Veteran
Competition Car: Dodge

Post by hemitud »

I hope all goes well...and cheap.
Tim
11 XP - maybe
1993 V8 - S10
IamRascal
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by IamRascal »

looks like engine....according to the mechanic :(. I'm going to see if I can find a garage to rent so I can tear it down and confirm the problem then go from there.

If anyone knows of a garage in the area that someone wants to rent out let me know.
- Chris
brokenplastic

Post by brokenplastic »

Tough luck on the engine. There is a scrapyard near me that used to have a bunch of cheap, lowmiles ecotecs.

BTW
ordered new tires for the CRX today.
hemitud
Veteran

Post by hemitud »

Agees
540-382-4831 1450 Radford Road Christiansburg VA
Bills Used Parts
1415 RADFORD ROAD, CHRISTIANSBURG, VA 24073. Phone: 1-800-468-5612.

These guys are basically across the road for each other and I bet they will have parts you need or the total engine.

As for the garage. Check with Shawn, he just updated his garage so he may have room.
www.sf-racing.net
Tim
11 XP - maybe
1993 V8 - S10
SierraFox
Seasoned Autoxer
Competition Car: Honda

Post by SierraFox »

Thanks for the plug Tim. Let me know if you would like to work something out with the Sunfire.

Currently have the Civic down as I pulled the motor again.

Found a nice gaping hole in the front of the block caused by the hydrolock a week ago.

By wrench_si at 2007-07-23
Shawn - SM #5 - 2000 Honda Civic Si (FBP)
Sierra Fox Racing - Specializing in Honda & Mitsubishi - http://www.sierrafoxracing.com
1978 EB3 Honda Civic 1200 (yes it runs!) | 2000 Civic Si | 2007 Civic EX
IamRascal
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by IamRascal »

I'll try both those parts guys out, shop wants over 5K for engine and swap. Basically I need a engine lift, a day or 2 and a used engine.

Pending parental consent I'm going to rent a truck and dolly to get it up to MD then ship any engine I can find for my brother to swap out.

I have a couple of leads on parts, just waiting to hear back. Should be able to get a whole engine for less than 1K, and my brothers going to do the swap for my old paintball gear. But as soon as shawn is able to do control arm bushings I'll be over there.
- Chris
SierraFox
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by SierraFox »

IamRascal wrote:But as soon as shawn is able to do control arm bushings I'll be over there.
Do your bushings have to essentially be burned out? Or can you press them out and the new ones in?

If pressed then I can most likely do it here. If burned I can get a hold of a Oxy-acetelene if needed.
Sierra Fox Racing - Specializing in Honda & Mitsubishi - http://www.sierrafoxracing.com
IamRascal
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by IamRascal »

when I get it running again I'll bring it over and let you be the judge. I've been told an arbor press can get em out and the new ones in.
- Chris
SierraFox
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by SierraFox »

IamRascal wrote:when I get it running again I'll bring it over and let you be the judge. I've been told an arbor press can get em out and the new ones in.
Ah if its pressed its easy.
hemitud
Veteran

Post by hemitud »

Shawn - I hate that its down again. I guess Honda's can run on anything but water.....
Tim
11 XP - maybe
1993 V8 - S10
00GTJustin
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by 00GTJustin »

Ecotec, huh? My buddy has one of those lying around in his shop I think. He works at saturn, so let me know how close the motors are to each other...if you even know.
Gearing up for the 2013 CSP Showdown
IamRascal
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by IamRascal »

If its a 2.2 ecotec L61 then it should drop right in.

How many miles and whats he want for it?
- Chris
IamRascal
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by IamRascal »

car is going to be towed to the inlaws driveway where I have permission to work on the car, will be some hot days, but at least I have a place for it now so I can figure out if anything is salvagable. I'm going to drain the fluids this weekend hopefully then commence dissasembly sometime next week. Anyone know of a place nearby that takes old coolant and oil?

Most likely course of action right now is to find a donor motor and swap em which would take about a day after I get all the right tools.
- Chris
LynnCombs
Veteran
Competition Car: Corvette

Post by LynnCombs »

IamRascal wrote:car is going to be towed to the inlaws driveway where I have permission to work on the car, will be some hot days, but at least I have a place for it now so I can figure out if anything is salvagable. I'm going to drain the fluids this weekend hopefully then commence dissasembly sometime next week. Anyone know of a place nearby that takes old coolant and oil?

Most likely course of action right now is to find a donor motor and swap em which would take about a day after I get all the right tools.
Get an E-Z up type of tent to get out of the sun and rain... works for folks at VIR.
Last edited by LynnCombs on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynn Combs
IamRascal
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by IamRascal »

LynnCombs wrote: Get and E-Z up type of tent to get out of the sun and rain... works for folks at VIR.
thanks for the reccomendation lynn, sounds like a good idea!
- Chris
00GTJustin
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by 00GTJustin »

Pete said "some" of the motor has 12k on it. The head came off one motor and the short block from another. A little vague, but he said he'd sell it for 500 bucks. It's located in Baltimore, MD, though...
Gearing up for the 2013 CSP Showdown
IamRascal
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by IamRascal »

I'll let you know in a few days, my parents are in MD so I'd combine the trips. According to my brother depending on what happened my block may be ok even when it overheated I wasn't blowing blue or white smoke. The block has iron sleeves so the cylinders arn't the worry, just the softer aluminum parts.
- Chris
IamRascal
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by IamRascal »

Pulled the plugs tonight when the car arrived at the house. #1 is oily but the plug wasn't crushed, so now I'm leaning towards a ringland failure, which will entail new pistons, and possibly a new head (used can be found for fairly cheap). Ringland failures are somewhat common on boosted ecotecs without forged internals but I believe mine would be the first without boost I know of...

I should be able to get the head pulled off this weekend and see if one of these pistons is not like the others.
- Chris
brokenplastic

Post by brokenplastic »

Wasn't there a problem with the early J car ecotec? I vaguely remember reading about a recall years ago on the whorg.
IamRascal
Pylons are afraid of me!

Survey Says

Post by IamRascal »

Rod bearings 1, 2 and 3!! all dead

Head is fine, block is good, but took out the rod bearings. Now comes the time to decide what to do.
- Chris
LynnCombs
Veteran

Post by LynnCombs »

Were the bearings spun so the oil holes did not match or did they just starve for oil? I always add an extra quart of oil when I autocross or do anything that is going to keep the oil away from the oil pick up point.
Lynn Combs
IamRascal
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by IamRascal »

After I rebuild the engine I'll be upping the oil fill a little. My brother said he also believes there was some oil starvation. After the rebuild I'll try 5.5 quarts and see how it goes.

As of now I'm out of the autocross circuit till I can find someone looking for a co-driver. I'll still attend for the fun and to help out tho.
- Chris
IamRascal
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by IamRascal »

Ordered rods and a crank today, wouldn't have bought another crank but the price was right.

Should be getting the rest of my parts ordered soon. Most likely be moving to DSP so everything can be balanced as well.
- Chris
IamRascal
Pylons are afraid of me!

Never buying Purolator filters again

Post by IamRascal »

Don't know why I didn't pull it when draining the fluids but I just removed my oil filter and it looks like a a can crushed in the middle. I moved to purolator Pure One on the recommendation of a friend, but I'm going straight back to fram or possibly K&N. The eco oil pressure gets pretty high at full run so having an oil filter that can handle it is essential. This was my first auto cross with a purolator and it failed horribly.

The #1 rod bearing was partly fused with the rod. Engine is out and just have to send the block to be bored (going with Hi-Tech in Wytheville). Hopefully should have everything back together by the end of October.
- Chris
DSPDA3
Admin
Competition Car: MINI

Post by DSPDA3 »

I've been running a Purolator Pure ONE filter on the Acura and Altima for a while now. 100k+ on the Acura, and ~60k on the Altima. No complaints from me. Glad to hear you're moving to DSP. :) I'll be taking an extended hiatus soon, but maybe we can run against each other before you move out of DSP.
BRR-SCCA 89 DS
2005 MINI Cooper S
IamRascal
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by IamRascal »

DSPDA3 wrote:Glad to hear you're moving to DSP. :) I'll be taking an extended hiatus soon, but maybe we can run against each other before you move out of DSP.
Moving out of DSP won't be on the agenda for a while. I only toughened up the engine because I was able to get better parts and do all the work for less than the cost of a new/rebuilt one plus labor. I'd like to someday boost the car and with a weekends work and the non-dsp legal parts I purchased she'll be able do 20psi and over 400hp. But the search for a house takes precedence over all once this is finished. It will be one nasty little sunfire tho even with the just stuff I'm doing thats DSP legal once i get the tuning down.
- Chris
mrtwo
Pylons are afraid of me!
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by mrtwo »

I've also used Pure One filters on my Miata, Altima, Van and (2) Jeeps - all with no failures.

I do recall an Eclipse at Mercer that had his K&N filter open and dump 5 quarts of synthetic on the runway!

Tim
Tim R
Imprezivblue
Pylons are afraid of me!
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by Imprezivblue »

mrtwo wrote: I do recall an Eclipse at Mercer that had his K&N filter open and dump 5 quarts of synthetic on the runway!

Tim
Twice ;)
My Boxer4racing.com Project Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS[/URL]
LynnCombs
Veteran

Post by LynnCombs »

I have run the PureOne filter on the Corvette with no problem.. but I normally run the AC Delco filter. I have seen AC replace an engine if the failure is related to an oil filter problem.
Lynn Combs