Feb Road Atlanta race cancelled

Discussion about club racing, time trials, and high performance driving events.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

glenthompson
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Caldwell

Feb Road Atlanta race cancelled

Post by glenthompson »

I’ve posted this on a number of forums, but this is going to all who have already registered for our February 23-24 weekend at Road Atlanta, the Atlanta Region Board, the Atlanta Region Race Board, and other interested parties:

I got a call this afternoon (Monday) from Road Atlanta. Due to delays in completion of scheduled safety improvements at Road Atlanta, the track has reluctantly cancelled ALL events using the track in February and early March 2008. As a result, Atlanta Region has been forced to cancel our SARRC/Kumho ECS Five-Hour scheduled for the weekend of Feb 23-24, 2008.

Last year we ended up successfully combining a SARRC with our June National, but I vowed then that we’d never do that again. I intend to keep that promise. Also know this is NOT a message to Atlanta Region SCCA from Road Atlanta. We’re losing one weekend – they are losing five to six weeks of revenue!

It’s a bummer, but I see two silver linings in this particular dark cloud:

1. It will give us a year to do a proper job of planning a single-day SARRC and long(er) Enduro for 2009. I still believe that’s a winning combination for a weekend and Kumho is STILL very interested in being involved.

2. Road Atlanta’s commitment to spending the money necessary to retain one of their premier Pro weekends should minimize concern about Turn 7 becoming turn for the back nine any time soon.

See ya…

Butch
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI