Trans-Am at VIR for April Nationals

Discussion about club racing, time trials, and high performance driving events.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

tac911t
Pylons are afraid of me!
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Jetta

Trans-Am at VIR for April Nationals

Post by tac911t »

The Trans-Am series has been reborn for 2009 (see SCCA's Website), with about 9 events, one of them being held in conjunction with the April 17-19, 2009 Double Nationals at VIR.

With the US Grand Prix not currently being held, let's hold a BRR-SCCA weekend campout during the April National. Most of the Regions Drivers with National level cars will probably be racing, and the typical workers will also be there.

Last years double national race weekend had great weather and racing. The addition of the Trans-Am race (90 miles, about 30 laps) makes for a even better weekend.
Nothing like two groups of big bore, pavement pounding races. There will be National races on Saturday and Sunday, I am guessing the Trans-Am race will be the last one on Sunday.

Todd
DLingenfelter
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Re: Trans-Am at VIR for April Nationals

Post by DLingenfelter »

Screaming small blocks and massive tires? I'll be there.
David Lingenfelter
18STS2
aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by aged racer »

Good idea on the group camp out. I'm not planning on running the SM at this point (subject to change), probably crew for Emmitt Staley. We ought to come up with a common paddock spot for anyone who is running, continue the "BRR" theme.

Steve
At-Large Member- SARRC Race Committee

Will race (and autocross) for food.
tac911t
Pylons are afraid of me!
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Jetta

Post by tac911t »

Great racing weekend, weather was good, the rain missed us on Sunday afternoon by about an hour.

Emmet Stanley won both races on Saturday and Sunday in his SSC Colbalt, and Greg Crandall was there in his FProd 912.

Over 230 national drivers and 20-30 Trans-Am cars.

Good racing, some silly/stupid incidents during the weekend.

On the warm-up lap of Big Bore, a Viper was swerving to warm up its tires, and spun into the guard rail just past the start tower, Black Flag all on the out lap.

During the SM, Showroom Stock, T2 group, one driver drove past the start stand during a Black Flag All,3 times, he got to talk to the stewards.

There were a large number of small bore formula cars (FV, F500, FF), and a even larger number of Wings and Things (FC, FE, C/DSR, Mazdas). During either practice or qualifying for Wings and Things, a CSR hit a deer at the start of the uphill Esses, hit the deer with the rear wheel, and split the deer in half (plenty of deer jokes for the rest of the weekend). Unfortunately someone got hurt in the paddock pushing that CSR car, cracked their skull and was sent to the hospital.

During the Wings and Things race on Saturday, a car stopped at turn 6 on the first lap, they got the pace car out, and did a few laps under yellow while they moved the car. When they were about ready to go green, a car stalled at turn 11, backed up about 6 cars behind, and when the rest of the field was at turn 14/15, they blacked flagged all. Had to reform the grid and restart the pace lap, once restarted the race finished under green.

On Sunday for the Wings and Things race, Eric Cruz (VA Tech Grad) in his FE formula car barrel rolled at turn 1, he was fine, but did go to the hospital to get checked out.

During the Trans-Am race, 2 cars got together at turn 8, one went shooting off to the left, hit the berm after the guard rail before the access road, got air and went flying down the gravel road. The driver was fine, car was a mess.
aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by aged racer »

It was indeed a good weekend for racing. I crewed for Emmitt, who did indeed win his first two Nationals. Greg was on his game as well, a pair of podiums I think.

The Spec Miata boys did not play well with each other back in the pack. They capped their weekend with a pair of WWF sessions during impound.

Picking up the SM tomorrow from the engine doctor on the way to Roebling Road for this weekend's Double SARRC. More info to follow.

Steve
At-Large Member- SARRC Race Committee

Will race (and autocross) for food.