Non-autox related topics

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

IamRascal
Pylons are afraid of me!
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Beamer

Know any good cheap towing vehicles?

Post by IamRascal »

So I'm selling my Volvo to a friend of mine and I'm going to be buying a truck. I want to know if anyone has any recommendations for good cheap tow vehicles, models brands, etc..

I'd prefer a truck so I can use the bed for runs to and from the hardware store, ex-cab would be nice, but I could also do an SUV.

I'm thinking at least a 5K towing capacity at the minimum.

Age and mileage isn't an issue if she's reliable.
- Chris
98 M3/4/5 Child Transport and Course runner
glenthompson
Veteran
Competition Car: Caldwell

Re: Know any good cheap towing vehicles?

Post by glenthompson »

I got a V10 powered F-250 for a decent price. It has great towing capability but crappy mileage. I only use it to tow to events, Lowes, and similar tasks. A F-150 also does well. It's hard to beat the Ford diesels for towing power but they carry a high premium. They sell for $3-5k more than the gas versions.

Some of the smaller trucks can tow up to 5k or so. Scott uses a Honda Ridgeline, some use the V-6 Ranger, the V8 Dakota tows great but has typical Chrysler transmission problems.

I'd take a look on Craig's List. There are a lot of them out there. Someone in Boones Mill just posted a '99 V6 Ranger with towing package for $4,200. There are older full sized trucks for less than $2k.

I like having the extended cab with rear doors. Makes it easier for the dog to get in or to put stuff inside.
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI
914geezer
Pylons are afraid of me!
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by 914geezer »

I had several Suburbans over the years, both new and used, Chevy and GMC and thought they were great tow vehicles. Get those with the towing package. Most had the big 454, but the smaller engine tows almost as well with less fuel. Not great gas economy of course, which may make them cheaper to buy these days.

Had a dually for a while also and thought the Suburbans were actually better for a one car trailer and the Subs had a bigger gas tank!
glenthompson
Veteran

Post by glenthompson »

The 'burb is one of the best towing vehicles around - very stable with plenty of power. With the current market, you can buy some pretty plush models at a reasonable cost. Around $5-7k for a 99-01 with most options including leather seats.

Only downside is not being able to use it as a pickup. I've hauled mulch, topsoil, brush, and trash in mine. If you want that capability, then a pickup is better. If not or you want passenger space, then the SUV gets the nod.
VW Jetta TDI
hemitud
Veteran
Competition Car: Dodge

Post by hemitud »

glenthompson wrote:It's hard to beat the Ford diesels for towing power but they carry a high premium. They sell for $3-5k more than the gas versions.
I am crushed...
Older FORD diesels were gas V-8's converted for diesel...hince the name POWER CHOKE. Then the next generation of FORD diesels had major issues of fuel being dumped in the oil.
My Dodge diesel is rated at 22,000 gross; 10,000 towing and gets 21 to 22 mpg empty; 16 to 18 towing. I can go over 500 miles pulling a 9,000 lb 5ft wheel camper with the a/c on and the kids playing xbox 360. So call me biased, but the cummins diesel is top notch. But you will pay a premium. There are lots of 1500, 360 V-8 Automatics everywhere for sale.

Now for the original question. I would suggest that any vehicle will meet your limited needs. 5,000 towing is gonna put you in the V-8 range minimum, that is the class III maximum weight. And if you go automatic, the vehicle should have had an external transmission cooler and if it doesn't I would stay away from it, unless it never was used for towing and in that case you should add a cooler immediately. SUV's have a much more practical application and will probably serve you better. A Jeep Grande Cherokee is a perfect choice. I would have made you a great deal, but I just traded ours. You can get a utility trailer for a small price and it will serve all your Lowe's needs and landscaping needs.
Tim
11 XP - maybe
1993 V8 - S10
IamRascal
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by IamRascal »

We're currently looking at an 03 Durango with a 4.7 V8 and 4wd (which I've been told has the same tranny as the R/T and is damn near bulletproof). The wife is willing to drive it (a plus) plenty of cargo room and If I fold down the back seats I could probably fit a smart car in there if I really wanted too. The 7000lb towing capacity will more than meet my needs I'm sure.

We've just got to see if there willing to deal on price. KBB says $8500.00 Nada says $6250.00 they want $8950.00 Anyone know where I can get an accurate good price to offer? Carfax came back clean, with just the expected ball-joint replacement and some electrical glitches in the first few months of ownership.
- Chris
hemitud
Veteran

Post by hemitud »

The black book is the price they will try to stick you with, although KBB seems to be a lot closer than it used to be. Truth is, they are gonna tell you that SUV's are making a comeback and that it is worth more since they own it. Think of what they would offer you if you were to trade the same vehicle in. Probably in the neighborhood of $5,500. You didn't mention mileage, but I assume somewhere close to 100K. Our Jeep had AWD, 4.7 HO, and the motor was great. I would expect the Durango gas mileage to be somewhere in the 12 to 13 range empty weight, so take that into account in you negotiated purchase price because that will add up quickly in cost of ownership.

Offer them $7,500, that seems to be between both prices you have listed. Be willing to walk away from their "best offer". Don't give them the benefit of wasting your entire day haggling prices.

I just bought a 2008 Charger Daytona, new, for $10,000 below sticker. Granted it was left over, but also it had been on the showroom floor for almost 2 years. Now the negotiating price between new and used is usually significant, but as long as you feel you are getting a good deal, then make the purchase.
Tim
11 XP - maybe
1993 V8 - S10
glenthompson
Veteran

Post by glenthompson »

I did a quick search of sold 02-04 Durangos on eBay and most seemed to be in the 4,500 to 9,000. Any 03 with a price above 6k did not sell. Unless it's exceptional, the 8,950 is a dream.

I'm with Tim - offer 7 to 7.5k and walk away if they won't deal at that range. Tell them to call you when they are willing to be reasonable.
VW Jetta TDI
IamRascal
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by IamRascal »

I think 7 is about as high as I want to go, wife and I already decided, there's plenty of cars out there and we've got time. I've also located another in Danville for 6K with comparable mileage. Its a drive, but if I can save a few grand its worth it to me.
- Chris
Scott
Veteran

Post by Scott »

I'd offer $6000 for it. Dealers need to sell right now, it's a great time to buy (another vote the SUV instead of the pickup, I wish I had gone that route...)
SCCA MX5
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Miata

Post by SCCA MX5 »

A relative of mine has a late 80's ford F350 cheap right now... dont know much about it, but I could find out if you would consider it.
Brock Clayton
92 Miata - Turbo
93 Miata LE #466/1500
83 RX7 (in theory)
Kevin Venhorst

Post by Kevin Venhorst »

Check out this site
http://bryanbuchananauction.com/index.html
It's located in Montvale (20 min east of Roanoke).
Wholesale prices.
Let me know if you want more info. I've bought numerous vehicles from them.
Kevin
IamRascal
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by IamRascal »

We ended up purchasing an 04 Durango with the 5.7 HEMI in it (got it out the door $1000 under blue book), also has leather and a child distraction device (dvd player). 60,000 miles on it and it comes with a 12K/1yr warranty that can be used at any honda dealer. Will be the wifes daily since she stays at home with Jace (the baby). I'll to use it when towing the car. Now I just gotta save some cash for a trailer and a tow hitch.

I highly recommend Duncan Honda to anyone looking for a car, I wasn't forced into anything and they were able to deal with my out of state (credit union) financing without problems.
- Chris
hemitud
Veteran

Post by hemitud »

Congrats on the purchase. Now say HEMI as many times as possible...its just that much fun. Also, at 60k, change all 16 of those plugs as Hemi's like new plugs.
Tim
11 XP - maybe
1993 V8 - S10