Double Drivers School at Summit Point in March

Discussion about club racing, time trials, and high performance driving events.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

tac911t
Pylons are afraid of me!
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Jetta

Double Drivers School at Summit Point in March

Post by tac911t »

This is the first Double Drivers School to be held at Summit Point. Once this 3 day school is completed, one would have their racing school requirements signed off, and be ready to go racing.

If needed, I know where there is a ITB Nissan available for sale or rent :twisted:

Washington DC Region, Sports Car Club of America 50th Anniversary of the DC Region Drivers School – Could You Be the Next Jimmie Johnson?

The Washington DC Region of the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) announces it’s
first ever 3 day, Double Certificate Club Racing Drivers School in honor of its 50th
Anniversary of teaching street drivers to race. This special event, to be held at the
Summit Point Raceway, Summit Point, West Virginia, March 19-21, 2010, enables a
student with no previous SCCA racing experience to complete the drivers school
requirements to start road racing with the SCCA. The SCCA is a nationwide amateur
sports car club (http://www.scca.com) that promotes amateur motorsports including solo
(autocross), road rally, club racing, and pro racing.

The Washington DC Region covers the metropolitan DC area and is part of the Northeast
Division, one of 9 Divisions within the SCCA. The Region history dates back to 1944,
when it was the first established Region of the SCCA. In the early years, the Region held
events at Marlboro Raceway in Upper Marlboro, MD. The last event at Marlboro was in
late 1969, after which, the Region moved it’s racing events to the newly built Summit
Point Raceway.

Throughout the years of holding Driving Schools, the Region has taught some now
famous race car drivers including, Michael Andretti, Mark Donohue, Dan Gurney, Janet
Guthrie, Jimmie Johnson, and Bob Tullius.

For information about the school, including registration for the event, please check the
Region’s website (http://www.wdcr-scca.org).

So come join us. You never know, you might be the next Jimmie Johnson!
jarabe
Pylons are afraid of me!

Re: Double Drivers School at Summit Point in March

Post by jarabe »

Do you know the cost of this.?
Thank you
Juan Carlos Jaramillo
GreenScapesVA.com
Herbalife independent distributor.
F125 CTS/Honda cr125
Chiketkd
Veteran
Competition Car: Mitsubishi

Post by Chiketkd »

jarabe wrote:Do you know the cost of this.?
Thank you
It's around $450 for one day, and $550 for both days iirc.
Chike D.
jarabe
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by jarabe »

Thanks Chike, ufff I thing I am in the wrong sport, I should be doing table tennis or something like that :lol:
Juan
Juan Carlos Jaramillo
GreenScapesVA.com
Herbalife independent distributor.
F125 CTS/Honda cr125
tac911t
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Jetta

Post by tac911t »

http://www.wdcr-scca.org/LinkClick.aspx ... 3&mid=1140

$445 for the single day school, and $545 for the double day school. The double is a great deal if you do need both of your schools. For the $100 additional dollars, you do not have to tow to another school, and have the second weekend costs. Finish this school, then attend the double SARRC/MARRS race at VIR in May, get your novice permit signed off, and have your full race license before Summer.

If interested, contact Steve Strickland, Jeff Underwood, or myself (or any of the other racers) for information on how to get your novice permit.

Seriously, I would be open to a discussion with anyone interested in renting my race car for the school.

Todd
SCCA MX5
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Miata

Post by SCCA MX5 »

I would love to go to this, but I think that's the weekend I will still be in FL.

Just curious, what would you want to rent your car?
Brock Clayton
92 Miata - Turbo
93 Miata LE #466/1500
83 RX7 (in theory)
aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by aged racer »

I can attest that the double school is the way to go. Drew got his license that way at the annual double that the SEDiv does at Roebling. SP is much closer (but do bring rains...). Afterwards pick any double regional or regional/ CCPS/ ECR weekend and you're good to go.

That said, I'd recommend at least a couple of PDX's or NASA equivalents before doing one of these schools (even for experienced auto-xers). The SCCA schools focus on flags, traffic mgt, rules, etc. If you're way off line, they'll tell you, but that's not the main deal. You'll get better instruction on driving (and less stressful track time) at the track day events.

Incidental aside- when Drew did the double three years ago, there were about 50 cars in his group and 70 or 80 overall. Roughly half had never been to a full speed track event before, and it really showed (including one unfortunate soul who stuffed a brand new Stohr DSR into the tire wall in the first green flag session). Drew had done four track day events plus autocrossing, and it made a big difference.

Steve
At-Large Member- SARRC Race Committee

Will race (and autocross) for food.