Non-autox related topics

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

SierraFox
Seasoned Autoxer
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Honda

Burned by Coltrane Welding and Fabrication

Post by SierraFox »

Ok so I got the car running again recently. However before putting the engine in, during reassembly of simply hand tightening the oil pressure sender into the back of the block (seriously hand tight) some how by my Herculean strength the block broke. This is not terribly common but is known in the Honda community to be a weak area on the block and has happened before to other people. I was shocked but knew it could be fixed.

Figured I would just cold weld it back together since I have seen it done before and it worked like a gem. So I prep the surface, removing paint, sanded and light grinding, etc. Get it together and over three days I layered the cold weld letting it cure completely before applying a new layer.

CLICK ON THUMBNAILS FOR LARGER PICTURE
Image Image

So the engine is still on the hoist and everything looks good. I build oil pressure by cranking it over with the starter and it does NOT leak at all! I'm satisfied so I install the motor.

Everything runs really nicely, good low end torque for not putting it over 3500 RPM (break-in period). BTW I had the motor bored to 82mm using over sized CTR Pistons (compression is roughly 11:1 now) with GSR camshafts, yada, yada.

I inspect the motor while parked after getting the engine temp up, NO LEAKS! Drive around town, still NO LEAKS, get home and reinspect and there is a VERY slow oil leak which I find originating from the oil pressure sender. Its going so slow that I could have said the hell with it but I figured if its a slow leak now it will increase eventually.

Sunday: So my neighbor is actually a shop, Kirby's Repair and he lets me use his lift to pull the motor so I don't have to do it outside again. BTW he offered to weld it up but its stick, he has some Aluminum stick. I say okay lets do it. Get the engine out, prep, weld it leaks worse. We ONLY weld where the break is. We figure its porosity build up from the slag. BTW he lets me use his shop on a Sunday to boot. Anyways we don't get it to stop leaking and we wrap up the night.

Monday: The next day I go to O'Reilly's to get some cleaning supplies and run into Danny Coltrane. He owns Coltrane Welding and Fabrication and I ask him if he might have some time to look at the engine for me. I figure it worth a shot since these guys are pretty much the best welders in the area from what I know of, hell its what they do EVERY DAY! He says sure and bring it down to the shop the next day. He never gives me a quote or even talks about labor cost (mistake!). However I expect to pay at least $100 because I think its worth it.

Take it to Coltrane's and let Danny see it and explain whats already gone on. I ask him specifically if they CAN fix it. He looks and thinks and eventually says "YES WE CAN FIX IT." Im starting to feel releaved becuase I find out back on Thurs-Friday that the wife is going to sea a few times before the deployment in September so she wont have ample time to find a house. Danny says they can start on it Tuesday because James is booked on work. I say ok not a problem, I expect to pay for the repair of course. Not a favor of friends like Kirby's. I also tell him I need the car ready no later than Friday because I want to leave for Norfolk. Really wanted to leave Wednesday.

Tuesday: I come in and bring a oil pressure tester so they can test for leaks. James works on it later that day but calls that afternoon saying its still leaking after welding it up. They are MIG welding. He mentions its a tough spot with everything on the block. I say OK Ill come down on Wednesday to take everything off the block after class.

Wednesday: Its exam day, James calls me in class to explain its not working and says I have a hours worth of labor charged ($75/hr), etc. He asks if I want to clean prep myself to save on labor. I tell him Im taking a test and cant and Im madly strapped for time I need him to take care of it but thanks for asking. I'm also getting desperate, I don't tell him that of course. I settle to myself that I don't mind paying $150 if they FIX IT!

I do my math exam and leave, get to Coltranes a about 11AM to change clothes, get tools, etc. Takes me about 45 minutes to remove everything on the intake side of the engine. I talk to Danny some more and I ask if they can TIG weld it. Danny says James wants to try MIG again and if that doesn't work they will call me. I say OK. However James has left for the day which really pisses me off because Im getting really delayed now. But I blow it off and go home. All the while these last few days I'm borrowing my father in laws Dodge Dakota.

Thursday: MIG welding fails dramatically, Jason attempts to TIG weld and fails. Also after regrinding and prepping the surface they must have made the aluminum thin. Because some how they burn a hole or something in the block beside the oil filter mount and its leaking oil there. Not to mention there is a big sunken area in the metal there. This is something new that they created. Why did they weld there???? There was not a leak there nor did we stick weld in that area. Jason thinks that it can be fixed with some cold weld because the hole is small. I'm like WTF I didn't bring it hear just to put cold weld on the motor, otherwise I would have never brought it to them. So I clean it myself and apply the cold weld becuase Im really desperate. I leave and come back about 2:30 (they close at 3PM!!!). The cold weld is not cured! I know it wont hold like this. So I apply more cold weld and Jason says I can leave it there until I return from Norfolk, not a problem. Im really pissed off, Jason says they want to change me $250!!! but he talked to Danny and will try to get it under $200 otherwise thats the cost on their FAILED work.

Father-in-law lets me borrow his truck for over a week, find house, return to Pulaski on the 20th.

TODAY Friday 21 May: I go down to Coltrane's the cold weld has completely cured and we test it. Actually looks kind of solid like it will work. It FAILS to no real surprise.

After talking to Jason and knows I'm pretty pissed off I'm sure. I do everything I can to keep myself calm. I told him its not right and he agrees that its not fixed but also restates that Danny wanted to change me more.

I'm out $200 fucking dollars, they had my block for over a week because I didn't have much of a choice since they leave work early even after I convenienced them by taking all the stuff off the block to give them more area to work.

They said they COULD FIX IT! They DIDN'T FIX IT! They charged me for FAILED WORK!

Shawn - SM #5 - 2000 Honda Civic Si (FBP)
Sierra Fox Racing - Specializing in Honda & Mitsubishi - http://www.sierrafoxracing.com
1978 EB3 Honda Civic 1200 (yes it runs!) | 2000 Civic Si | 2007 Civic EX
SierraFox
Seasoned Autoxer

Re: Burned by Coltrane Welding and Fabrication

Post by SierraFox »

Here is additional pictures of what it looks like when its intact. I cant use this block because it has a very bad spun bearing due to a clogged oil orifice on a main journal.

The shaded area is pretty much what broke. it broke in a "V" pattern.

Sierra Fox Racing - Specializing in Honda & Mitsubishi - http://www.sierrafoxracing.com
DSPDA3
Admin
Competition Car: MINI

Post by DSPDA3 »

Ouch... Calling it quits at 3PM is a bit slack IMO. I can understand them wanting to charge for the work, even if it was unsuccessful. Not unheard of by any means, but still a bit hard to swallow knowing you're forking over cash and nothing to show for it.

Are they still attempting to work on the block, or have you taken it back?

How much is a new block?
BRR-SCCA 89 DS
2005 MINI Cooper S
drum3
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by drum3 »

If he told me " I can fix it " , he either should have fixed it or not charged anything. If he says < " I dont know , but we will try our best " Then if I agree , I pay him for his time. Seems there was just a misunderstanding and he used words he shouldnt have.
Anthony Hodges
DSP 72

www.motorpride.com/TeamBorderline
SCCA MX5
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Miata

Post by SCCA MX5 »

I feel the same- their time is still worth x amount of dollars no matter what the work is, but if they said "we will fix it" and ended up just fucking it up more, I would expect to not be charged for anything other than the parts/used up expendables, etc...

Honestly, taking in someones car and saying "yea, I can fix that problem" and then returning it a week later with the same problem saying "sorry, but you owe me $200 for trying"

its like- You guys said you could fix it just like I said I would pay you. Our contract was I pay you to FIX the problem, not TRY YOUR BEST to fix the problem.

Well, solution is sell that thing and buy my Del Sol. for $1750. seriously...
Brock Clayton
92 Miata - Turbo
93 Miata LE #466/1500
83 RX7 (in theory)
SierraFox
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by SierraFox »

SCCA MX5 wrote:I feel the same- their time is still worth x amount of dollars no matter what the work is, but if they said "we will fix it" and ended up just fucking it up more, I would expect to not be charged for anything other than the parts/used up expendables, etc...

Honestly, taking in someones car and saying "yea, I can fix that problem" and then returning it a week later with the same problem saying "sorry, but you owe me $200 for trying"

its like- You guys said you could fix it just like I said I would pay you. Our contract was I pay you to FIX the problem, not TRY YOUR BEST to fix the problem.

Well, solution is sell that thing and buy my Del Sol. for $1750. seriously...
Ah wtf I can get a entire motor for cheaper than that.... :twisted:
SCCA MX5
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Miata

Post by SCCA MX5 »

SF-Racing wrote:]

Ah wtf I can get a entire motor for cheaper than that.... :twisted:

yea, but it doesnt come with an entire car around it!!! lol find someone to buy this thing!!!
Brock Clayton
92 Miata - Turbo
93 Miata LE #466/1500
83 RX7 (in theory)
hemitud
Veteran
Competition Car: Dodge

Post by hemitud »

Shawn - that sucks that you have had to deal with that crap....remind me to tell you of a story in which I had to take them to court to get my truck back from some work they were doing...errr...partially doing...another unsuccesssful attempt at work.
Tim
11 XP - maybe
1993 V8 - S10
SierraFox
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by SierraFox »

pm'd