Car control 101 pays off

Non-autox related topics

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

mrtwo
Pylons are afraid of me!
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Car control 101 pays off

Post by mrtwo »

My son did one auto-x last year and 3 this year. We've also done a little parking lot practice in the rain and snow.

He came home today and said the "auto-x" practice paid off. He got cut off today and had to hit the brakes hard in the rain in his not ABS Jeep. He said the auto-x experience of threhhold braking and looking ahead for the clear path helped avoid an accident.

Nice to know the emphasis of "car control event" pays off sometime!
Tim R
mseal
Seasoned Autoxer

Re: Car control 101 pays off

Post by mseal »

Tim. glad everything turned out okay. Yes autocrossing is a very valuable lesson in car control. A few years ago when my daughter turned 16, she and her mother attended an all day class at Summit Point about accident avoidance. Wet and dry skidpad, loss of power (brakes and steering), obstacle avoidance and a little slaloming to boot. Great fun for both and valuable knowledge to carry with them both.

aged racer
Seasoned Autoxer

Re: Car control 101 pays off

Post by aged racer »

+1, Drew (my oldest) started autocrossing with a learners and now has his racing license. My daughter had no such aspirations but I sent her through the same school as Mick (http://www.bsr-inc.com/). I highly recommend their Teen Defensive Driving school. Covers the important stuff (as Mick notes) and many of the instructors are off-duty policemen.

Steve
At-Large Member- SARRC Race Committee

Will race (and autocross) for food.