Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

hklvette
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: BumminRides

question for subaru guys

Post by hklvette »

Hi all,

A couple of months ago, I replaced the timing belt and water pump in a friend's outback. The install went fine, and ran great afterwards. Recently, the car has developed a pulley squeal. She took the car to a local garage, and they told her that one of the pulleys on the timing belt was beginning to go bad (and want $700 to replace the set, I might add). I did not change them with the belt itself, as I was not aware of timing pulleys being considered a wear item. Does Subaru consider the pulleys and tensioner to be a wear item, or are they supposed to be "sealed for life"?

Thanks!
-Henry Lehmann
BRR Solo Chair, Treasurer, and Equipment Steward

"If you want to get it done, you have to do it yourself."
Letze
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Miata

Re: question for subaru guys

Post by Letze »

Yea they are all wear items. the rule is remove inspect if any noise (any if it makes any slight rolling sound its bad) or vibration with the pullies then you must replace them.

Advanced Auto sells a kit from Dayco for 170 for the complete set Since I work at Subaru I did a comparison. its exactly the same all markings and manufacture stampings are identical to the 300-400 dollar set you get from the dealer. Do replace them soon Subaru motors are interference if it fails you will bend valves or worse.
Chason
NB2 Miata Base