Match Tour - Bristol Motor Speedway - May 13-15, 2016

Discuss upcoming events, classing questions, car setup, etc.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

DSPDA3
Admin
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: MINI

Match Tour - Bristol Motor Speedway - May 13-15, 2016

Post by DSPDA3 »

Just saw this in this month's issue of SportsCar. I'm seriously considering this one. I grew up in Bristol, on the VA side, and my parents live about 10-15min. away from the track. Who else is in? 8)

https://www.scca.com/events/1981874-201 ... y-showdown
BRR-SCCA 89 DS
2005 MINI Cooper S
TEAMETR
Competition Car: Camaro

Re: Match Tour - Bristol Motor Speedway - May 13-15, 2016

Post by TEAMETR »

DSPDA3 wrote:Just saw this in this month's issue of SportsCar. I'm seriously considering this one. I grew up in Bristol, on the VA side, and my parents live about 10-15min. away from the track. Who else is in? 8)

They repaved the lower lot as well making for a much better course.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 Toyota GT86
Class D Street / Membership Chair / Event Organizer / Facebook
rschumin
Veteran
Competition Car: Honda

Post by rschumin »

DSPDA3 wrote:Just saw this in this month's issue of SportsCar. I'm seriously considering this one. I grew up in Bristol, on the VA side, and my parents live about 10-15min. away from the track. Who else is in? 8)

It's on my calendar
Ray
........_\____
......./__|___\__
......(O)_ _(O)_|
drum3
Veteran
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 314159

Post by drum3 »

We are headed down also . They also have a SEDiv event there.
Anthony Hodges
DSP 72

www.motorpride.com/TeamBorderline
TEAMETR

Post by TEAMETR »

drum3 wrote:We are headed down also . They also have a SEDiv event there.
August 6th & 7th
Paul Breitweiser
2016 Toyota GT86
DSPDA3
Admin

Post by DSPDA3 »

Sounds good. Looks like some familiar faces headed down too. I need to give Bristol a closer look these days. Less than 2hr away. Will be good to see just how far off I am in DS. 8)

Also saw an event there on Jun 5.
BRR-SCCA 89 DS
2005 MINI Cooper S
TEAMETR

Post by TEAMETR »

We are currently trying to do the SEDiv event as a DoubleCross / DragCross type course. More information on this will be available after the SEDiv conference is over. Your best time from both the left and right course are combined since each course is different.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 Toyota GT86
DSPDA3
Admin

Post by DSPDA3 »

Question for those that have been to National-level events. Although I've been autocrossing off & on for 15 years or more, I've only done 2 Divisional-level events, with the last one being 12 years ago. At that time, I did not have to run a Tire Rack windshield banner. Not sure if that has changed for Divisional-level events or not. With this Match Tour being a National-level event, I see that the windshield banner is required, in addition to 2 National Tour decals, one on each side of the car, and a SCCA wire wheel decal.

Where can we obtain these required decals? Can I assume they'll be available during event check-in? What is the fee for these decals? Or should we have them prior to showing up at the event site? In the past I've placed my decals on magnetic sheet, for easy removal afterwards (my autox car is my DD). The windshield decal will be permanent however, that's OK.

Also, saw this in the Match Tour rules, under the impound section. "Drivers should be prepared to show documentation of vehicle specifications and to assist the Impound workers in the verification of the vehicles’ compliance with
these specifications."

I don't necessarily have a 'logbook', for lack of a better term. Do we simply list out any modifications done to the car, and show that?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
BRR-SCCA 89 DS
2005 MINI Cooper S
rschumin
Veteran

Post by rschumin »

Where can we obtain these required decals? Can I assume they'll be available during event check-in? What is the fee for these decals? Or should we have them prior to showing up at the event site? In the past I've placed my decals on magnetic sheet, for easy removal afterwards (my autox car is my DD). The windshield decal will be permanent however, that's OK.
They will give them to you when you check in for registration. The windshield header pulls off pretty easily. If you have a good coat of wax on the car the ones on the paint will come off as well. I usually stick the decals to my jeans before I put them on the car. That calms down the adhesive so they come off easier.
Also, saw this in the Match Tour rules, under the impound section. "Drivers should be prepared to show documentation of vehicle specifications and to assist the Impound workers in the verification of the vehicles’ compliance with
these specifications."

I don't necessarily have a 'logbook', for lack of a better term. Do we simply list out any modifications done to the car, and show that?
You'll need that if someone protests you. You just need to be able to prove that your car meets the rules.
Ray
........_\____
......./__|___\__
......(O)_ _(O)_|
tehmaxfactr
Seasoned Autoxer
Competition Car: fiero

Post by tehmaxfactr »

I am the other part of "we" :) so I will be there as well.
88 Fiero Formula T-Tops (1 of 1252) BSP
87 Fiero GT swapped with a turbo 3.5 SSM
90 Miata Supercharged SSM
01 Mustang GT ESP
96 Plymoth Neon (prospective chump car)
NoCones
Pylons are afraid of me!
Competition Car: Mazda

Post by NoCones »

Ray is spot-on re: decals.

As for documentation, I wouldn't sweat that one...the chances of being involved in a protest are awfully slim...especially so if you don't cheat :D
Bryan Hertweck
STX 2013 Scion FR-S
NoCones
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by NoCones »

I'll probably hit the Bristol MT if I can't get into the DC Pro. Would like to make it to an event there sometime, whether MT or otherwise.
Bryan Hertweck
STX 2013 Scion FR-S
DSPDA3
Admin

Post by DSPDA3 »

Thanks for the help Brian. As far as documentation, any special format required? Or just something generic that lists your mods, if any?
BRR-SCCA 89 DS
2005 MINI Cooper S
NoCones
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by NoCones »

DSPDA3 wrote:Thanks for the help Brian. As far as documentation, any special format required? Or just something generic that lists your mods, if any?
Documentation would typically just be a factory service manual (paper or electronic)...or any other factory doc that would justify something you've done.

You have no requirement to document what you've done, only to show that what you've done is legal should someone question it.

Think something like crash bolts in a strut suspension for additional camber. If you did that and someone questioned it, you'd want to be able to be able to point to a page in the FSM that shows it as an authorized way to adjust camber.

The other thing would be if you have some rare or possibly interesting combination of options on your car...you might want to have some documents that demonstrate that the car was orderable that way. There was a wheel size for my Cayman that didn't show in the official "order guide," but someone found other Porsche documents that indicated they had indeed been available...had I chosen to take advantage of that oddball size, I'd probably have made sure I had those docs at the ready. There have been other cars where option combos that lead to light weight (or some other desirable characteristic like ABS in an otherwise lightweight car) are rare (or even impossible to find), but factory docs indicate someone *could* have ordered the car that way.

If you've just done things that are common and generally accepted as legal to a well-known car model, don't sweat it for a minute.

I haven't "actively" taken any documentation with me for years...I've always figured that in the extremely unlikely event of a protest, I'd either realize I had screwed up or I'd be able to find something either through fellow competitors or on the internet to support my legality.

Protests at national events that aren't nationals are pretty rare. They either happen when something is egregious and the suspect finishes well (costing someone series points or contingency $$$) or when rules are kinda gray and competitors want official clarification...sometimes a "friendly" protest is the best way to figure out whether something really is legal or not. Slightly more common (but not "common") would be: "hey, I'm not sure XYZ is legal...you might want to get that straightened out before the next national event...or before nationals."
Bryan Hertweck
STX 2013 Scion FR-S
DSPDA3
Admin

Post by DSPDA3 »

Bryan -

Thanks for the clarification. I'm likely making a mountain out of a mole hill. Wouldn't be the 1st time. Honestly, like you said, I have nothing to worry about. I'm running a car that has competed for years on the National stage, with only a rear sway bar addition, and the 17" OEM wheels (which I know are like bricks). But they were budget friendly for the amount of times I autox per year.

Hope to see some familiar faces down in Bristol.
BRR-SCCA 89 DS
2005 MINI Cooper S
TEAMETR

Post by TEAMETR »

2016 Tire Rack Thunder Valley Showdown Registration Now Open
http://www.scca.com/events/1981874-2016 ... y-showdown
Paul Breitweiser
2016 Toyota GT86
rschumin
Veteran

Post by rschumin »

TEAMETR wrote:2016 Tire Rack Thunder Valley Showdown Registration Now Open
I'm registered! Any suggestions on hotels close to the sight?
Ray
........_\____
......./__|___\__
......(O)_ _(O)_|
sinutz
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by sinutz »

Registered. Now it's time to work on the tire situation. What to Do?
Rob Leslie

2000 S2000 #413 BS
1988 CRX SI #228 DM
TEAMETR

Post by TEAMETR »

rschumin wrote:
TEAMETR wrote:2016 Tire Rack Thunder Valley Showdown Registration Now Open
I'm registered! Any suggestions on hotels close to the sight?
Shop on the web (Trivago) or one of those it took me a little time to find one. I do know some of the closer ones are cheap but not clean (Speedway Inn) most of us from ETR are staying in Bristol VA just over the State line and just a short drive.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 Toyota GT86
TEAMETR

Post by TEAMETR »

Are you are a seasoned driver or newbie? Reminder this May 13th, 14th and 15th at Bristol Motor Speedway (100 mile ride from Knoxville Area) SCCA National and ETRSCCA are having there first Match Tour at this large and FAST autocross site. You can also purchase track laps $40.00 for the famed High Banked BMS Oval as well ….Please email Jeff Cox @ jcox07@comcast.net for information or register.

A Match Tour will provide an entertaining introductory to National Solo experience to local Regional Solo competitors by blending elements of a traditional National Tour with the ProSolo concept of determining an overall winner of the event, while also providing a challenging alternative event format for experienced National Solo competitors. ETRSCCA has worked hard to get STM class represented at this event. We hope our STM members will come out and support ETR and your class at this event.

Match Tours are usually comprised of about 9 runs over two days (You run the same course over the 2 days). There are qualifying runs for brackets from each heat and then single elimination brackets at the end of day two. Awards and contingency are given out per class along with an over-all awards and contingency for the brackets. At only $80 for the 2 day event, and a short ride, at a great location this is a great chance for YOU to get a taste, in a relaxed atmosphere with lots of seat time and plenty of great people to learn from.

These events are fairly low key and full of excitement that you’ll be ready to brag to your friends about. If you can’t get the time off from work or you really can’t afford to go that’s understandable.... don’t use some of these excuses to not support your club….

“I can’t go I’m not qualified.”
“I don’t have a good enough car.”
“I haven’t done enough events.”
“I’ll lose.”
“I’m not a Pro.”

• MT Goals:

1. Serve as a stepping stone program between SCCA Regional and National level Solo events.

2. Establish a unique event format that allows local level autocrossers to have a taste of what National level events are like, while keeping the experience more low key than a Championship Tour.

3. Expand the competition opportunities for National drivers

“You can do this” we hope you will support East Tennessee Region for a great weekend of FUN. Go to our forum under “2016 Tire Rack Thunder Valley Showdown” http://forum.etrscca.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9839 if you have question.

SCCA.COM registration link here http://www.scca.com/events/1981874-2016 ... y-showdown

TEAMETR
Paul Breitweiser
2016 Toyota GT86
TEAMETR

Post by TEAMETR »

STM class will be represented at this event. "Run What You Brung" for those who want to try a National course.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 Toyota GT86
TEAMETR

Post by TEAMETR »

Register Today!

SCCA National season is well under way, eyes move to Bristol, TN as the warmth of spring begins to transition into the summer doldrums. A new site on the Tour circuit, Bristol Motor Speedway brings to many competitors, a new challenge and an unfamiliar lot. Want some good reasons to attend?
How about...
1. Speed. Course Designer John Brown has categorically stated that this course is going to be FAST. With a large course area to play with, Bristol should prove to be a test of skill and bravery, where the ability to negotiate a slalom will go hand in hand with the need to place a brick on that right pedal to get the best times. Early estimates suggest that a typical course should be on the order of 60+ seconds, so be prepared for a tall challenge.
2. Smooth. Part of the reason that the lot will be fast is a recent repaving of the site. In years past, Bristol has been known as a rather rough lot. Suspensions have been tested to the limit, and riding on the bump stops wasn't the way to go. However, this year, over half of the course area has been newly repaved, providing a much smoother site to stretch those legs.
3. Car Independent. Given the layout of the lot, the eventual course should not favor any particular style of course. It's wide on one end, narrow in the middle, and egg shaped on the other side. Every slalom will be offset by its own sweeper, which should serve to eliminate any advantages from narrowness or power. Every car will have its elements that will challenge it, which should serve to tighten up the competition at the top of every class.
4. Fun Runs. No, not extra autocross runs, but for $40, word has it that the NASCAR track will be open for lapping! Ever wanted to see just how fast your car is on the World's Fastest Half Mile? Now's your chance! Just try to keep it out of the SAFER barriers; we'd hate to have to fill out extra paperwork and reshuffle the run order...
5. Match Tour! Need we say any more? Match Tours are the biggest bang for the buck in terms of National level Solo competition. Every driver has a minimum guaranteed 8 runs (six on Saturday, two on Sunday), so if seat time is in question, Match Tours are your answer. Put your foot down and break into the challenges, and one might see as many as twelve runs for a driver over the weekend. Where else can you get that much fun in 12 minutes?!
The summer heat just means we're another month closer to Nationals, so come one, come all. As always, keep your eyes and ears on sololive.scca.com for up to the second live timing updates and color commentary from the best announcers we could find... hanging around a small parking lot... on a May afternoon... in Tennessee... Needless to say, they are the cream of the crop.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 Toyota GT86
TEAMETR

Post by TEAMETR »

Only 10 spots left before we are SOLD OUT register today.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 Toyota GT86
TEAMETR

Post by TEAMETR »

Wait List only
Paul Breitweiser
2016 Toyota GT86