Aligning cars for starts

Discuss upcoming events, classing questions, car setup, etc.

Moderators: hklvette, glenthompson

RHDwillis
How many miles is the Indy 500 times 2?: 1000
Competition Car: Mini

Aligning cars for starts

Post by RHDwillis »

I feel that aligning the cars by the center of the front hub needs to be addressed. Lining them up this way gives advantage to the smaller nosed cars. Cars like a Corvette would not have as much room to run before the lights then say a Mini would.
07 Mini Chili Red
hemitud
Veteran
Competition Car: Dodge

Re: Aligning cars for starts

Post by hemitud »

Lining by the center of the hub may not account for the amount of overhang of the nose, but it also doesn't leave room for speculation of where the actual front of the car is. The height of the timing light doesn't contact every car at the same location. Cars with front splitters; where do you line them up? At the splitter or at the bumper, that can be as much as 6 to 8" difference. The best general average is the tire.
Tim
11 XP - maybe
1993 V8 - S10
glenthompson
Veteran
Competition Car: Caldwell

Post by glenthompson »

With the old timing lights most cars triggered off the tire since they were so low to the ground. That made using the hub the best option for equalizing starts. Since the new lights sit up higher, most cars are going to trigger off the bumper. While long overhang cars will get a shorter acceleration before timing starts the difference will probably be very small. In addition, most cars in a given class have similar overhangs. Most Minis aren't directly competing with Camaros. From my travels, the front hub seems to be the favored staging location.
Glen Thompson, Officer Emeritus
VW Jetta TDI
teamking
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by teamking »

Just curious: is there a spare set of timing lights to be available in case someone runs over the primary lights?

If so, the spare set could be wired up to a light that indicates the car is staged (and would be at the same height as the timing lights so no issues with different bumpers getting an advantage).

If the actual timing lights get destroyed then we fall back to manual alignment for the rest of the day.

Just a thought.
Will
hklvette
Veteran
Competition Car: BumminRides

Post by hklvette »

There is a spare set, but they are wireless. That being said....

I do still have all of the old Race America gear, which is wired and is otherwise collecting dust. We could use them instead.
-Henry Lehmann
BRR Solo Chair, Treasurer, and Equipment Steward

"If you want to get it done, you have to do it yourself."
yenko66
Pylons are afraid of me!

Post by yenko66 »

I did feel that at the first event this year that the pre stage / to start light trigger area was extremely close. Everyone had the same amount of room which made it fair but it just felt real tight.

I really like the idea of a staged light..make us feel like we are drag racing..(LOL)
Be A Swinger in a Stinger.
n33d4sp33d13
Seasoned Autoxer

Post by n33d4sp33d13 »

I agree with the staged light. It lines everyone up with the furthest foward part of the car that would trip the light and essentially eliminates any advantage.
Steffen Clark
White/Orange 1991 Mazda Miata ITA/ STL
Dark grey 2014 Subaru WRX STI D Street
White 1984 Plymouth Colt Turbo SMF
1991 Mazda "hacked" Miata A Mod
Red 1984 Plymouth Colt Turbo
Red 2019 Toyota Tundra